• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Renting out 3 rooms in my home - 2 tenants got arrested last night... need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abda53

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

I am a homeowner and rent out 3 of my bedrooms. Long story short, 2 of the tenants were arrested last night in the home, one for assault 4, the other for assault 3 obstruction and resisting. They saw the judge and are held with no bail. I don't know when the sentencing is. Their rent is paid for the month, not obviously there is a chance both can be sentenced for 1-many years.. They are friends, they made a mistake and I'm not here to F them over any more than than they screwed themselves. Here are my questions assuming they are sentenced for a long time:

- what is my right as a landlord as far as getting someone else into the room to cover the room rental?
- do I need to wait until their sentencing to take any kind of action?
- if I want to evict them do I need to go through the court system to do it, or do I need to wait until they are late on rent, or can it be immediate since they were arrested?
- what do I do with their stuff? Do I have the right to sell it to cover any missed rent or damages? or do I have to provide a place to store it while they are gone? Does anyone else have the right to come and claim their property - such as family or a girlfriend?
- they also each have a dog at the house, what do I do about the dogs?

Any other suggestions/recommendations would be highly appreciated. Thank you

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

I am a homeowner and rent out 3 of my bedrooms. Long story short, 2 of the tenants were arrested last night in the home, one for assault 4, the other for assault 3 obstruction and resisting. They saw the judge and are held with no bail. I don't know when the sentencing is. Their rent is paid for the month, not obviously there is a chance both can be sentenced for 1-many years.. They are friends, they made a mistake and I'm not here to F them over any more than than they screwed themselves. Here are my questions assuming they are sentenced for a long time:

- what is my right as a landlord as far as getting someone else into the room to cover the room rental?
- do I need to wait until their sentencing to take any kind of action?
- if I want to evict them do I need to go through the court system to do it, or do I need to wait until they are late on rent, or can it be immediate since they were arrested?
- what do I do with their stuff? Do I have the right to sell it to cover any missed rent or damages? or do I have to provide a place to store it while they are gone? Does anyone else have the right to come and claim their property - such as family or a girlfriend?
- they also each have a dog at the house, what do I do about the dogs?

Any other suggestions/recommendations would be highly appreciated. Thank you
Be patient - you can't even move to evict until they're late on rent.

As for the dogs - that's a bit tougher. Can you care for them for a while until you get a better idea of what's going to happen? Granted, you shouldn't have to, but it might be the decent thing to do.

abda53

Be patient - you can't even move to evict until they're late on rent.

As for the dogs - that's a bit tougher. Can you care for them for a while until you get a better idea of what's going to happen? Granted, you shouldn't have to, but it might be the decent thing to do.
I believe so for the dogs.

I thought I had read that in WA you can evict if arrested, however I know that the arrest does not prove guilt, and the sentencing is what is important.. so i guess my main concern/question is once next month rolls around (5th is considered late) and their rent is not paid, do I need to go through the court system to get a new tenant in, or if they are in jail for x months/years what do I need to do?

Thanks for the response

abda53

Why are you assuming that they will be in prison for a long time?
I'm just thinking of all of the scenarios (min/max sentencing, etc) so I can plan ahead.

I just heard from the DV4 guy, he was let out on his own cognizance and is waiting to hear if the other guy will be let out. So I will find out more tonight.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I'm just thinking of all of the scenarios (min/max sentencing, etc) so I can plan ahead.

I just heard from the DV4 guy, he was let out on his own cognizance
and is waiting to hear if the other guy will be let out. So I will find out more tonight.
In other words, you are jumping the gun and making assumptions.

You can't assume they won't make rent... until they don't pay rent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">