• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Renting, using association recreational area

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

teejaynh

In the state of Wisconsin. We purchased a cabin in a neighborhood with an association. We listed the cabin on AIRBNB to rent when we are not using it. We listed the use of the associations private beach, volleyball courts and other recreational things available to us. No where in the covenants does it state that the use of the associations beach and recreational areas cannot be used by anyone other than the tenants or families or friends as the board of directors are telling us. They sited parking issues which isnt the case as whether is our car or some elses it would take up the same space. At any rate thety are asking us to take down our post of the recreatiomal areas as its INTENDED for association owners , families and friends only. Can they. MAKE us take this down?

adjusterjack

My guess is, like most HOA members, you are missing something in your interpretation of the covenants and were I to read them in the entirety I bet I can find it.

Anyway, they can't MAKE you do anything, but they can fine you and put a lien on your property if you don't pay the fines.

You are free to ignore the notices and take your chances. Or take your situation and your covenants to an attorney for evaluation.

HRZ

Are any of the other cabins used by non owners? In what context do you use the word " tenant."

Absent a rule against it in place, you might have a winnable legal point in court but the expenses of the fight might far far outweigh any profits you might make from rentals...and the HOA might fashion new rules that greatly inhibit rentals as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">