• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repair shop won't honor their own estimate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WesternMaineGuy

What is the name of your state? New Hampshire
I had a dealership's service department do an inspection on a vehicle I was thinking of buying (Not the dealership's vehicle.) The service adviser, David, gave me an estimate of $1,000 to repair a leaking manifold. I bought the vehicle. When I took the vehicle back to have the repair done they told me that David was no longer employed at the dealership. Then they told me that they would not honor the estimate that David had given me. The new "soft" estimate is $3,500, but it could be higher. The reason given was that the way Ford designed the vehicle made it almost impossible to replace the manifold without removing the entire engine. This new service adviser admitted that David would have known about the the bad design and should have disclosed that information to me. I now have a vehicle sitting in my driveway because it doesn't make financial sense to repair it. What should I do? Thanks in advance.

PayrollHRGuy

Is there anything on the written estimate that makes it binding in anyway?

Otherwise I would point you to the definition of estimate.

es·ti·mate

noun

ˈestəmət/
an approximate calculation or judgment of the value, number, quantity, or extent of something.
"at a rough estimate, our staff is recycling a quarter of the paper used"
synonyms:rough calculation, approximation, estimation, rough guess;

Mass_Shyster

If this is a Ford dealership, you should contact Ford customer service. They may help you out. Short of that, you have an estimate, not a quote. There's a difference.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If this is a Ford dealership, you should contact Ford customer service. They may help you out. Short of that, you have an estimate, not a quote. There's a difference.
A written estimate is the same as a written quote insofar as automobile repairs are concerned.

Zigner

Having disagreed somewhat with the prior to posters, I *will* say that I agree with the gist of what they are saying. Even the written estimate might require upward modification. Had they already accepted the job, such a modification (if it were more than a certain threshold amount) would require your approval. Since they haven't started the job, you're really on a bad spot on this one.

PayrollHRGuy

While that is the general definition of an estimate, the fact is that estimate as they are related to automobile repairs have a different (but similar) definition.
Until the OP answers your question we don't really know if it was a written and possibly binding estimate or just a guy that used to work at the dealership saying "It'll cost about $1000."

xylene

The reason given was that the way Ford designed the vehicle made it almost impossible to replace the manifold without removing the entire engine.
almost impossible means possible for someone who is good at their job

take the vehicle to a more competent independent mechanic and NOT a dealer

dropping an engine is not a 3500 dollar job either - though admittedly not cheap.

crazy dealer prices are not damages.

WesternMaineGuy

The original estimate/quote was in writing and done by an employee (David) of the dealership. He has since left the dealership. I understand that an estimate may not be an exact amount. The issue I have is that the manifold problem is well known and caused by a poor design in Ford's from 2005-2011. It is not unique to my vehicle. The new guy in service I am dealing with even told me that David should have never quoted a price of $1,000 because of this well known problem that affects every Ford of that vintage. In other words, it isn't like they started the repairs and found addition problems that required more time.

Zigner

(One of) the problem(s) you have is that the Ford dealership has withdrawn their offer.

xylene

If you insist on dealing with people who are jerking you around, consider that you'll get more of the same.

It's a Ford with a common problem.

Lots of mechanics know how to solve it.

It isn't 2500 dollars of work to pull an engine.

Average hourly rate in NH for car repairs is 156.09

That's 16 hours of labor on top of the amount for the job....

The dealer is jerking you around on a repair they'd rather not do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">