• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repaying Training Costs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ferrari1898

What is the name of your state? Georgia

So after a few years after being hired HR had everyone sign a form to repay training costs incurred for the last 12 months if you quit. I don’t recall all the details and don’t have a copy.

I am looking at quitting and just went to Conference that cost $4000. While there were training sessions, there is also an expo with vendors selling software that compliments the conference’s host. There is also networking, a concert, drinking, etc.

During the conference I got certified (offered year round) but during the show it is discounted 50%.

Breakdown of the $4000.
$1900 Registration
$1900 Lodging, Taxi & Food (Didn’t expense beer).
$200 Certification related.

Questions.

Does the fact the mentioned document occurred years after being hired but several years ago, make any difference?

Since being signed, my company was purchased by another company. The company was publically traded and the new company essentially bought all the stock. Does the nullify the mentioned agreement?

What, if any, of the $4k should I be worried about? ... I don’t mind the $200 part, it’s the other $3800.

PayrollHRGuy

What were you at the conference to do. Were your there to be trained, network or what?

Were you required to be there?

Ferrari1898

Part of the reason is for training, part to network, part to get tips and tricks, part for upcoming releases. Trading is definitely part, but not the only reason to go, as is most conferences.

Not a show I was required to attend

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The answer to your first two questions is, "it depends". The first depends on the terms of the agreement - does the agreement say it is no longer in effect after such and such a length of time? The second depends on the new owners' policies.

mjpayne

What is the name of your state? Georgia

So after a few years after being hired HR had everyone sign a form to repay training costs incurred for the last 12 months if you quit. I don’t recall all the details and don’t have a copy.

I am looking at quitting and just went to Conference that cost $4000. While there were training sessions, there is also an expo with vendors selling software that compliments the conference’s host. There is also networking, a concert, drinking, etc.

During the conference I got certified (offered year round) but during the show it is discounted 50%.

Breakdown of the $4000.
$1900 Registration
$1900 Lodging, Taxi & Food (Didn’t expense beer).
$200 Certification related.

Questions.

Does the fact the mentioned document occurred years after being hired but several years ago, make any difference?

Since being signed, my company was purchased by another company. The company was publically traded and the new company essentially bought all the stock. Does the nullify the mentioned agreement?

What, if any, of the $4k should I be worried about? ... I don’t mind the $200 part, it’s the other $3800.
You signed a form saying you will repay the costs and then went to the referenced training. Doesn't matter that the company was bought. That just affects future policy. It generally would not nullify all existing contracts.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Actually a sale could matter a great deal, or not at all. Been there, done that, both sides of the desk. And there are other ramifications besides this agreement to just abandoning his job till he gets fired. Very, very bad advice here.

Just Blue

Actually a sale could matter a great deal, or not at all. Been there, done that, both sides of the desk. And there are other ramifications besides this agreement to just abandoning his job till he gets fired. Very, very bad advice here.
I don't see where someone advised to abandon the job...Was the post reported?

Just Blue

Evidently that post was edited by its originator since it no longer contains that suggestion and does not show that M has edited it.
Ahhh...The newbie with all the answers...except to his own strange questions. :rolleyes:

mjpayne

Ahhh...The newbie with all the answers...except to his own strange questions. :rolleyes:
Well, if they were simple, easy questions, like is it illegal to drive above the speed limit or run a red light, I would have been able to answer them myself. Hence why all the questions I ask are "strange." ;)

Just Blue

Well, if they were simple, easy questions, like is it illegal to drive above the speed limit or run a red light, I would have been able to answer them myself. Hence why all the questions I ask are "strange." ;)
Stop advising others. Stick around and read and learn ...And if you advise expect to have relevant statute and case law to back up what you say. This is standard for newbies. ;)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
mjpayne, the information you provided in this thread, and in several others I saw, is wrong. Please don't answer any questions unless you have actual knowledge of the law and not a guess as to what you think the law might be.

adjusterjack

I don’t recall all the details and don’t have a copy.
Well, that's on you, isn't it? You had the paper in your hand when you signed it. You should have made a copy.

That being said, your questions cannot be answered without knowing the full terms and conditions of the agreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">