• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repayment of educational expenses when an employee leaves

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ezzy

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Ohio.
I run a small company and pay for my employees to attend training to attain certifications necessary to performing their jobs. I also pay for their transportation, meals, lodging and salary during training. Is there any legal way for me to ask for reimbursement should the employee leave the company within a certain period of time after obtaining the credentials I paid for? If so, how do I word it in my Employee Handbook?

Beth3

Is there any legal way for me to ask for reimbursement should the employee leave the company within a certain period of time after obtaining the credentials I paid for? Sure. Many employers require that educational expenses or certain training costs be repaid if the employee resigns their employment within "x" amount of time following completion of the class or program.

If so, how do I word it in my Employee Handbook? That's something you really should discuss with an employment law attorney. If you plan on requiring departing employees to reimburse you for transportation, meals, lodging and education/training costs, you need to find out if all that is permissible in your State. I don't believe there is any possible way you can require reimbursement of wages paid however.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">