• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repayment of loan after divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wonderwoman94

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH
Hi there, i am new to this site and to divorce. My husband and I after 5 years have respectfully and mutually agreed to disagree.
We have been married in community of property and decided upon which things we shall each keep to avoid an ugly battle in court.
Each of us has agreed that the separate credi tcard debts we have incurred in our separate names during the marriage we shall each be individually responisble for.
My question concerns the amount of money my mother had loan us during our marriage. She loan us $3000. We agreed at the time of receiving it that we would pay her back $1500 each (exactly half ). It has since been over a year since this verbal agreement was made and only I hvae kept my word. My husband still has not repaid my mother. As we are now getting divorced isthere any way of ensuring my mother gets her money back other than our verbal agreement? how do i go about it? and what form do i use? any help would be appreciated. thanks!

Tayla

Each individual would have had to sign a promissory note for their portion in order to take this to court and maybe win in court.

Oral contracts are difficult to prove in a court of law.

You can broach the subject with your ex and ask if he would set up a payment to repay his former in law. He is not at liberty to make good on this loan if no written document was in place.

LdiJ

Each individual would have had to sign a promissory note for their portion in order to take this to court and maybe win in court.

Oral contracts are difficult to prove in a court of law.

You can broach the subject with your ex and ask if he would set up a payment to repay his former in law. He is not at liberty to make good on this loan if no written document was in place.
He IS at liberty to make good on the loan (free to do so if he chooses, which is what "at liberty" means) he may however, not be required to pay off the loan.

wonderwoman94

Thank you both for your advice. I feel somewhat stupid as i know if this is the case my mom will never see the money. I stupidly had no promissory note. or can i draw up one now? is it too late to have him sign?
thanks!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
it is a marital debt. Hence you could pay your mother back. You could not write up a promissory note for your husband to pay your mother back -- it is not on you to get this money back for your mother. SHE can always attempt to sue you and your husband.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">