• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repayment of personal loan from friend.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jimbo7

About 9 months ago, I loaned money to a friend's mother to pay off a credit card. At first I transferred the balance onto several of my cards. Then I also gave cash to this friend's mother to pay off the card, because the cash payment would clear a lot faster. The balance on the card was approximately $5,000. I ended up paying twice on this. The mother was given a refund for the over-payment, which was paid back to me. However, the remaining $5,000 was never paid back to me. The mother was attempting to buy a house, and this credit card was damaging her ability to close on the house. I signed a letter stating that the friend, the daughter, did not have to pay the money back. This was so that the lender for the house did not consider it a debt. But, the fact is that I loaned the money to the mother, and not the daughter. A technicality. Do I have a case to sue the mother for the remaining $5,000, since I never signed a letter stating debt forgiven for the mother? It seems like some kind of technicality to me. Thank you.

Jim

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">