• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repayment of Relocation Allowance for early Departure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JAC1973

California - Six weeks ago I left my employer of six years to accept a better paying position with another firm. One of the fringe benefits was a relocation allowance, although the move was only 100 miles away. In my offer letter, it indicates that "the relocation allowance will be refunded in full to employer should employee choose to terminate employment prior to the one-year anniversary."

I am now contemplating leaving the company, of my own volition, since the position is not as it was described to me. The position was sold as a "senior management" position, yet I have only one direct report and no direct control over financial issues. I was told that travel would be at my discretion, yet I am traveling constantly.

My position is within a mid-sized, family-owned company and the mere fact that I was hired managed to set off one of the family executives, who felt that my role infringed upon hers. With each passing day, I am forced more and more to play a game of "mother may I."

Due to my heavy travel schedule, I have no desk, no phone, and no work space in the home office. When I am there, roughly 1-2 days per week, I grab a table or chair if one's available.

This is not why I bargained for and I believe the position differs substantially from what was offered. To that end, am I still obligated to repay any or all of the relocation allowance if I leave the company?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Are you expecting to hear that there's a law saying if the conditions aren't what you expected, your relocation agreement is automatically void?

Well, there isn't. The likelihood is that you will still have to repay unless there is something within the terms of the agreement that specifies that you don't under x conditions.

No one who has not read the entire agreement can tell you if you will have to repay it or not. You will need to show the agreement in its entirety to a local attorney. But I wouldn't be holding my breath.

BelizeBreeze

JAC1973 said:
My position is within a mid-sized,
Due to my heavy travel schedule, I have no desk, no phone, and no work space in the home office. When I am there, roughly 1-2 days per week, I grab a table or chair if one's available.

This is not why I bargained for and I believe the position differs substantially from what was offered. To that end, am I still obligated to repay any or all of the relocation allowance if I leave the company?
Awwww you poooor baby. Want me to send you a table and chair?

You'll pay back the relocation PERIOD!

JAC1973

Keep the table & chair (and your finger)

Belize Breeze, you're an @ss and probably one of those sarcastic b@stards who has trouble relating to people.

I have now given up a relentless travel schedule for a job that pays 30% more and requires minimal travel. The new company is not only moving me, they're buying my home, giving me a five-figure starting bonus, and paying back that relocation allowance.

With an average of 27 posts a day, you might consider stepping away from the laptop every now and again, possibly developing a few hobbies, working on your social skills, and (for god's sake) going to the gym. In other words, get a life!

C

CheeseBlotto

How much money are you talking about? Doesn't change the legalities, but makes a world of difference as a practical matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">