• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repayment of Tuition Reimbursement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anatnarb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
I have been attending college for a masters program over the past two years that I was employed with my company. My employer has reimbursed half of my tuition, and the company policy says that, if I leave within a year, I must reimburse any monies paid. This is very loosely worded, so I don't know whether this means all the money, or just the monies from the past year. In addition, I never signed any contract or promissory note. I am considering leaving, and don't mind paying them what I may owe them, but what in reality is their position? It seems to me that they have no contract with me to reimburse, and they cannot legally deduct my final paycheck, and even this would not cover it. Plus, with the nebulous wording in the policy, it looks to me like it may be unenforcable on their part. The wording in as follows:

Any employee with less than five (5) years of service with the Company who voluntarily ends their employment, or who is terminated “for cause” within one year after payment of tuition support, will be required to reimburse the Company in full for any monies paid under this program.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

Plus, with the nebulous wording in the policy, it looks to me like it may be unenforcable on their part. The wording in as follows:

Any employee with less than five (5) years of service with the Company who voluntarily ends their employment, or who is terminated “for cause” within one year after payment of tuition support, will be required to reimburse the Company in full for any monies paid under this program.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
that's nebulous? Sounds pretty grounded to me.

If you have been there less than 5 years, and you have received reimbursement for tuition within the last year, it would apply to you. If you voluntarily leave, it applies to you. If they fire you for cause, it applies to you.

If it is applicable to you, you are required to repay any money the company paid under that program. That would not be limited to money paid within the last year but any money they paid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">