• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repercussions questions.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Limonz

Gaston county, NC
I have a court signed agreement through a mediator laying out terms for child support. My ex-spouse is not paying on the day that the support is due (the 7th and 22nd of each month), a day that was demanded by them to be their day to pay. When money is payed it is $1 to "satisfy" the agreement then pays the rest when ever they feel like it in the month. This month no money has been payed and when confronted and asked if they were aware about the no payment the response was "yeah and the day ends in Y since we are stating the obvious" and that was it. Now at the end of the month no money has been sent and I don't know what kind of things they can try and do if I go to the child support services and have them draft it from their paycheck. Am I at risk of going back to court and spending another $15K to have this enforced or can they try and change it because they are mad? That isn't something I can afford. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

PayrollHRGuy

It should cost you $15K to file for contempt against your ex.

Your ex is free to file for whatever reason he/she want no matter if you file for contempt or not.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ask your state's child support office to set this up for garnishment. There are no repercussions, legally speaking. Of course, your ex may decide to quit his/her job and work under the table, but that's not something we can predict.

Edited to adjust the gender. My response is the same for either gender.

Last edited:

LdiJ

It should cost you $15K to file for contempt against your ex.

Your ex is free to file for whatever reason he/she want no matter if you file for contempt or not.
Did you mean to say that it should or should not cost 15k to file for contempt? You said should, but I think you meant should not.

Limonz

Is it possible that my ex-spouse could try and retaliate against me by trying to change the custody agreement? I already have majority custody time and am nervous that filling through the state could some how allow the custody order to be reopened. Our custody and support orders are filed separately.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Is it possible that my ex-spouse could try and retaliate against me by trying to change the custody agreement? I already have majority custody time and am nervous that filling through the state could some how allow the custody order to be reopened. Our custody and support orders are filed separately.
We can't guess if this will cause your ex to try and retaliate by seeking to change the custody orders, but the court tends to see through those kind of stunts...

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
It is possible that your ex-spouse could try and retaliate against you.

The current agreement is legally binding. Unless your ex-spouse is asking for a clarification of something not covered in the agreement, or a correction of some typo, the ex-spouse should have to show a change of circumstance.

Just do the paperwork to initiate having the whole thing go through the state. If the ex-spouse tries taking it to court, respond that you'd like the order to be modified to require the cs go through the state, and that you don't agree with his proposed modifications.

You know your ex-spouse better than us. You know if your ex-spouse is going to retain competent legal council. If the ex-spouse doesn't have a lawyer, then it is possible for you to represent yourself successfully if your ex-spouse is as much an idiot as you've represented here. Flippant refusals to pay cs as per the agreement doesn't fly in most courts. It is expected that payments be made as agreed upon until there is a change in the court order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">