• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reply vs Response?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tbonesays

What is the name of your state? Arizona

Help. I keep changing my convention and keep seeing the more experienced parties disagreeing.

Say the Defendant files a Motion:

Do I file a REPLY or a RESPONSE? [or something else]

And is his 2nd bite at the apple the other word??

quincy

What is the name of your state? Arizona

Help. I keep changing my convention and keep seeing the more experienced parties disagreeing.

Say the Defendant files a Motion:

Do I file a REPLY or a RESPONSE? [or something else]

And is his 2nd bite at the apple the other word??
What is this all about, tbonesays?

What type of motion?

What "second bite of the apple?"

adjusterjack

The typical terminology is "response" as in Defendant's Response to Plaintiff's Motion for..." but it's still a reply.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

quincy

I asked the questions I did to determine if an opposition to the motion is being considered.

tbonesays

The typical terminology is "response" as in Defendant's Response to Plaintiff's Motion for..." but it's still a reply.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck.
So a "response" is a subgroup of the greater "reply"?

I believe there is a distinction between the two terms. At one point the clerk emailed all parties (concerning a motion to quash a subpoena) and asked us why the response was filed before the reply. But the rules seemed to suggest that the RESPONSE is step 2 while the REPLY is 3rd.

quincy

So a "response" is a subgroup of the greater "reply"?

I believe there is a distinction between the two terms. At one point the clerk emailed all parties (concerning a motion to quash a subpoena) and asked us why the response was filed before the reply. But the rules seemed to suggest that the RESPONSE is step 2 while the REPLY is 3rd.
What is the legal action about and what was the motion that was filed and do you oppose the motion?

quincy

does it matter per this thread?

I subpoenaed defendant's witness, witness files motion to quash, I either reply or respond.
You don't have to respond but you potentially could file a "response to the motion to quash subpoena."

In the following link (from Maricopa), see pages 9 and 10 on when the court must quash or modify a subpoena and when a court may quash or modify a subpoena - to see where you stand.

https://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.gov/sscDocs/packets/gns1.pdf

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">