• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repo man has my car and won't set up a return

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tjs7

Michigan - I Had my car repossessed. I paid all of the past due bills and fees. My finance company has sent the release to the company holding the vehicle. The company that took my car, is dragging their feet to return it to me. At this point I'm afraid something has happened to it. At what point can I report it as stolen? I have made several attempts to contact them, and they always seem to have some shady excuse on why I can't set up an appointment to come get it.

PayrollHRGuy

The car wasn't stolen and it is a purely civil, not criminal matter at this point and likely going forward.

You need to contact the finance company and explain the issue and get their assistance.

We could also probably help more if we had an idea as to what "shady excuse" they are giving you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Michigan - I Had my car repossessed. I paid all of the past due bills and fees. My finance company has sent the release to the company holding the vehicle. The company that took my car, is dragging their feet to return it to me. At this point I'm afraid something has happened to it. At what point can I report it as stolen? I have made several attempts to contact them, and they always seem to have some shady excuse on why I can't set up an appointment to come get it.
Never - the car was not stolen. At this point you have a civil matter. Sue the bad guys.

tjs7

They are only open from 9-12 each day. They keep saying they haven’t received the release. But I have called the finance company and stayed on hold whil the finance company called the auto auction to confirm they received the release. Then they said it will take an hour and a half to process the paperwork after they get the release. They won’t schedule a pick up until they “process” the paperwork, and they don’t schedule same day pick ups.

So I’m stuck between the finance company and the auto auction.

PayrollHRGuy

Then call the finance company back and explain the issues you are having. They will have more influence of ver the repo company than anyone.

And/Or

Be there at 9:00am tomorrow morning with a copy of the release.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">