• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reporting roommate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Blue

Maybe a new approach is needed.

In some States the landlord can have their property confiscated if they are knowingly renting to someone selling drugs.

If she selling? Do you have proof?

Write a letter (send it certified) to the landlord. Explain that the person must be removed pronto. A owner can lose their property because they knowingly rent to someone who is selling. Tell the owner...this is now the proof that they know this is going on on their property, because this letter just told them.

Check your state laws. Maybe someone here know the laws on this for your state.

Still and all, I do wonder why the three of you don’t just more out on her?
The only state that matters is California...OP's state. Pull up the statutes for Cali. If you can't/won't provide the state statute and or case law for a members state...don't bother "advising". Thank You...

reenzz

So, if we go ahead and report welfare fraud, please confirm there won't be any chance of legal repercussions like slander, etc? Thank you
There is no welfare fraud unless you can prove that she is receiving SSDI illegally...meaning that she is faking her Crohn's.

chelseas

I can't do that. The rm wouldn't get anywhere filing a criminal complaint but she could file a civil suit. And, frankly, as she is Dx'ed with CD she isn't committing welfare fraud. Your' personal opinion on the validity of her receiving welfare benefits is irrelevant.
If we report anonymous, can she file civil suit out of presumptions?

chelseas

Maybe a new approach is needed.

In some States the landlord can have their property confiscated if they are knowingly renting to someone selling drugs.

If she selling? Do you have proof?

Write a letter (send it certified) to the landlord. Explain that the person must be removed pronto. A owner can lose their property because they knowingly rent to someone who is selling. Tell the owner...this is now the proof that they know this is going on on their property, because this letter just told them.

Check your state laws. Maybe someone here know the laws on this for your state.

Still and all, I do wonder why the three of you don’t just more out on her?
This is our home and we like it here. Simple.

chelseas

There is no welfare fraud unless you can prove that she is receiving SSDI illegally...meaning that she is faking her Crohn's.
She contributes to her triggers by smoking and drug use. Also, she is not WEAK at all and is perfectly fine to work.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
She contributes to her triggers by smoking and drug use. Also, she is not WEAK at all and is perfectly fine to work.
Really - just drop the whole disability angle. She has jumped through plenty of hoops to be awarded the disability payments.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What do you mean? Risk being sued? That's not a good argument. I'm trying to find answers here. Can she file a legal suit out of presumptions, is my question.
Yes, absolutely.
That's really not your question though. Your question is whether she would be successful in such a suit, and as you have been advised already the answer is most likely not.

Eekamouse

What do you mean? Risk being sued? That's not a good argument. I'm trying to find answers here. Can she file a legal suit out of presumptions, is my question.
Who are you to make those presumptions about her in the first place? You're no doctor. If you want to report that she's receiving benefits illegally, she can sue you for harassment, which it is. It sounds like you and your other roomies are ganging up on her and want to cause her problems because you don't like her. Move out. She was there first anyway, wasn't she?

chelseas

Who are you to make those presumptions about her in the first place? You're no doctor. If you want to report that she's receiving benefits illegally, she can sue you for harassment, which it is. It sounds like you and your other roomies are ganging up on her and want to cause her problems because you don't like her. Move out. She was there first anyway, wasn't she?
No, the 2 other roommies were here years before her. When she came in, she brought chaos right away, which prompted the "oldest" one to file a complaint on her to the Manager, backed by the previous tenants that moved out. Meaning, this whole tandem of 3 current tenants complaining about her is not isolated. My question is still unanswered though, can she file a civil suit just because she thinks it's us that reported her, when we intend to report anonymous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">