• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
This is a repost because I have yet to receive a reply. ;) ANYONE KNOW?!?!?!?!?!?!? :confused:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Georgia. I reside in Texas but this is pertaining to Georgia state tax. My question:Is there a statute of limitations for this......My husband was in the military in 1994 and was stationed in Georgia with his ex-wife(wife at the time). He did not have a civilian job, she did. 10 years later Georgia has come back trying to claim that he owes a few thousand$$$ in Georgia state taxes. He has faxed them his military orders proving that he was military and therefore exempt from paying taxes. They want copies of his W2's for that time period. He got rid of that paperwork and the IRS only goes back 7 years I believe so they don't even have copies of the W2's in question.What I want to know is how is Georgia able to do this and what can we do??? This is affecting his credit report. Thank you in advance.

He MAY have been exempt but was she working and did they file a joint tax return for the year in question? Seems he would have or could get some kind of record stating his military status if HIS pay was exempt. Is all income exempt or just the wages of the military person?


Senior Member
First of all, hire an Enrolled Agent who has experience with GA taxes.

You should be able to get copies of his military pay records from the branch of service he was in, also should be able to get proof he WAS in the service during that period.

I would also ask for proof from the state about the income he supposedly had in that state.

Just for your reference, Married couples where one is military are often permitted to file in different states as though they are single or as MFS for state purposes if the military person is not a legal resident of that state, and the spouse worked there.

Don't try to handle this on your own since you don't have the paperwork they are asking for. What they really need is a pay stub from that time period, the W-2 won't show them anything; it does not list state of residency.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential