• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

reposting this... sorry

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mycarlb

What is the name of your state?New York State - New York City

I'm sorry to post this twice, but it seemed like I may have posted in an area that no one looks at? If not, please forgive me. I don't know how do use this sight, or even if I came to the right place... thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions :)

I have a question that I am not sure where to post. My best friend lives in NYC and is working for a small deli/grocery off the books. He is a citizen, but is from Puerto Rico.. speaks english, but is very uneducated and feels like he can't get a job unless it's with some scumbag like the one he works for. The man pays him 300 a week, and he works 6 days - 12 hours a day!!!!!!!!!! I want to help him, like report this guy or something, but I don't know how, and I don't want my friend to get into trouble? Some weeks he works and the man doesn't pay him at all... other weeks he will get $200 or something less than their agreed upon $300. I want him to get out of there, but I just don't know how to help him???

Is there anything I can do. can anyone help me?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your friend - not you - can call the state DOL and file a complaint since it appears that he is not receiving minimum wage for hours worked.

You have no standing to complain on his behalf. All you can do is encourage him to (a) report the illegal wages and (b) look for another job.

BTW, it's not that you posted initially in an area no one looks at - it's that you didn't wait long enough for an answer.

This board is staffed by volunteers who do this on our own time. Many of us do this while working full time jobs and have to fit it in when we can. Others check in periodically but are still taking care of homes and families and other aspects of their lives. You waited less than an hour and a half before reposting. It is not unusual for it to take between a couple of hours and a couple of days before someone who knows the answer happens by. Operators are not standing by 24/7 to answer your call. :)

I'm not yelling at you - just explaining how it works.

Last edited:

mycarlb

thank you

I'm sorry... I didn't mean to be impatient... I just noticed a lot of people looking at this page, so I thought maybe I was posting wrong... I am not very good at this board posting stuff. :rolleyes:

Can I ask another question please? If I can talk him into reporting this guy, will he get into trouble for working there? I think that's what he is scared of, and so am I... it's hard to make a living in New York City... and especially if you are not very educated. I did see once in Long Island where a group of lawyers (I think) sued on behalf of what we call "day workers" ... illegal aliens who show up at construction sights daily for work... I guess they were being paid horrible wages, and some wonderful people helped to get them the back pay they deserved, even though they had no green card. That's why I thought maybe my friend could get help too...

Thank you again for your patience... I will wait patiently for your reply... sorry again :)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
He's not going to get into any trouble for working for a jerk.

The DOL is charged with seeing that all workers get at least minimum wage and that all labor laws are followed. If he would rather work with a lawyer that's his choice, but the DOL is free; lawyers are not.

Not everyone who looks at any given post will know the answer, but they won't necessarily KNOW if they know the answer until they read it.

mycarlb

thank you

Oh wow... thank you sooooo much!!! I am going to call him today and tell him to file with the DOL... you have been very helpful!! God Bless

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">