• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Representative payee and deduct ssi

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York
I am on SSD for a year. My LTD UNum is making statements that monies my daughter recieves should be a deductible source of income from me. She is not on my policy. SSA refers me to the obligations of representaive payee and income tax filing., however they can not give me a direct anwser to whether these funds are protected and seperate from deduction. I wrote to the attorney general Spitzer and was referred to NYS insurance board. I have not recieved any info yet. Here is what I forwarded to NYS insurance in basic

Dear Attorney General Spitzer,

I want to thank you for work against Unum insurance.

I am disabled and did get approved through SSA and Unum. I have a problem with Unum. They have a vague statement in my policy that they may be able to deduct my Childs SS benefit from my monthly benefit. Unum is stating to me that my daughter benefit is a deductible source of income under the policy. SSA required a "representative payee" for this benefit of a minor. The government requires income tax to be filed for my daughter. Most importantly, the appointed "representative payee" is required to file an accounting of the disbursement of monies.
I need to know how to proceed. In dealing with Unum for 2 1/2 years I know that I do not get a straight story. I have been told contradictory things in regards to my whole process. Unum's own Financial recovery unit representative Susan Forcier told me last fall that if the funds were taxable under my daughter SS# and held as rep. payee they could not deduct them.
Do have any rights to my own policy? Does my daughter have the right not to have her benefit taken? How does the representative payee proceed legally?
Is this legal?

Can someone direct me?


Senior Member
I'm sorry , I'm not Familiar with the Ins. UNma you are speaking of .

Maybe you should also send a Letter to Your States Congressman/women .

Have you tried your Local SSA Office for answers ?


Junior Member
unum provident is the insurance and they are connected to a few others like paul revere to name one. Unum was slammed in 2004 for unfair denial of disability claims and basic handling of them. My attorney general speared headed it in NY, so I contacted them first. They sent me to NYS insurance board. So thats where its at.I will contact a congressman if it would help. I really was hoping if anyone had this legal issue before i start spinning my wheels for nothing.


Senior Member
Honestly, as you most likely know , The Fed. Government , Our Gov. , Etc , are coming up with a number of reforms that hurt the struggling and Poor , while giving tax breaks to the Richest .

Then turn around and State the struggling and poor are Better Off with these reforms .

I'm just ranting , but I guess the feel , if a Person is on the " Assistant " roles , they are not suppose to have Luxuries . No luxuries , more money changing hands .

I've heard some war stories when " Welfare " first came about .

The people in classification must always Fight for what are entitled to them .
Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential