• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Request Criminal Record

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rwasek

What is the name of your state? UT
I find myself needing to request a criminal record for a sex offender that was convicted in California 20 years ago.
This man has to register for life as a sex offender, and is currently living with my daughters and my ex-wife.
I have concerns about his past, and as I understand it these criminal records are public.
Not sure how to order them, since they are in a different state.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The OP wants to have a copy of the actual criminal record. My guess is that he likely wants it for use in court to show that the children are not safe.

rwasek

Thank you both, Zigner you are correct.
Trying to mitigate my attorney costs, as well as prove that my children are in an unsafe environment.
I don't expect these records to be free, but since I'm not in that state I cannot just walk into a courthouse and request a copy of these records.

rwasek

Would I need to know the county?
I have DOB, conviction date, and jurisdiction: California.
A name search isn't pulling up the correct data.

rwasek

It would seem that since conviction was in 2001 - "Pursuant to Penal Code § 290.46, not all registered sex offenders are posted on this website. "
The conviction was prior to the law that makes this record public on the Internet.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You may end up having to pay somebody to find this for you. Not one of the cheapo background search places. I'm thinking that you may want to speak to a private investigator.

CdwJava

California state criminal offender records (CORI) are not publicly accessible. However, if you know which court he was convicted out of, it is possible you might be able to obtain a copy of the court record for that particular proceeding. You'd have to contact that court to determine if the records even still exist, and if they do, how to obtain a copy.

CdwJava

It would seem that since conviction was in 2001 - "Pursuant to Penal Code § 290.46, not all registered sex offenders are posted on this website. "
The conviction was prior to the law that makes this record public on the Internet.
Do you know what offense he was convicted of? Offenders who were convicted prior to Megan's Law would still have their names on the register (in the internet age) if their offense qualified.

rwasek

I do not know what county this was in. I am going to say this would be the charges convicted of:
  • Crime: 289(h) - sex penetration with foreign object of victim under 18 years of age, Conviction date: 2001-07-30, Jurisdiction: California

CdwJava

I do not know what county this was in. I am going to say this would be the charges convicted of:
  • Crime: 289(h) - sex penetration with foreign object of victim under 18 years of age, Conviction date: 2001-07-30, Jurisdiction: California
He was required to register, but it may be tier one offense which can end after 10 years. That could be different if the offense was in conjunction with another serious offense. I could describe situations where this could be charged and convicted that would not be at all heinous (i.e. in an otherwise consensual dating relationship even if between an adult and a minor), but describing the specifics is not necessary here.

If you pay a private investigator or an online records search firm, they may be able to come up with the public record of the conviction. That should have the county of conviction and you could inquire from there.

rwasek

I doubt that it is a tier one, due to the fact that he continues to register after 2001 conviction.
Possibly additional offenses involved, not sure.
I've inquired about online record searches, but would like advice on choosing a reputable one, or a private investigator.
I would assume the private investigator would cost more, but also follow through and follow up rather than blindly paying an online search then cross my fingers.
Anyone have advice?

PayrollHRGuy

I doubt the online searches are going to find what you need. A PI will cost more but can actually get what you are looking for. Not knowing what county he was convicted in will increase the cost.

CdwJava

I doubt that it is a tier one, due to the fact that he continues to register after 2001 conviction.
Possibly additional offenses involved, not sure.
I've inquired about online record searches, but would like advice on choosing a reputable one, or a private investigator.
I would assume the private investigator would cost more, but also follow through and follow up rather than blindly paying an online search then cross my fingers.
Anyone have advice?
A tier one offense CAN end after ten years, there is no guarantee that they will. And if the only offense he was convicted of was 289(h), then this appears to be a tier one offense. But, if there was another offense, it is possible that it is not.

Have you checked to see that he is on the Megan's Law website?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">