• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

request for change in custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rogelio Castro

Junior Member
What is the name of your state? California
I'm a divorce father with 2 kids one 15 and 11, they leave with their mother most of the time, I have them everyother weekend, the delivering of the children is suposed to be 50/50.

reasently my 15 year old got in trouble at the mothers house for drug use, and his grades have been terible since they move away from were we used to leave, they leave two hours away from me, I got his school reports all the classes he got F, and they state that he will not graduate, I have spoke to the teachers and they tell me that basicaly he misses a lot of clases and never turn in home work.

at the time of the divorce I was able to have the court mandate for the children to see a spicologys to be able to asimilate the new way of leaving which mother refused to take them, until now that my 15 got involved in drugs I was able to have her take him to see one.

what I'll like to do is get custody of him and have him come to leave with me, he say thgat he likes to leave with his mother but it shows that she can not control him and I don't want my kid to end up in jail or the streets.

can some one tell me how to proceed in getting custody and what type of paper work, documentation I need.

Thank you.What is the name of your state?


Senior Member
I'm hoping it means "psychologist." :)

Rogelio - a custody battle is very expensive and very time-consuming. Be sure you want to get into one before you do. I'd suggest doing a lot of reading on the topic, and only on your state in particular. Other states don't matter.

Rogelio Castro

Junior Member
yes, same Kid.
I tryid to work with him and his mother to avoid having him go through the hard time of moving again, but now you see the results.
I realize that it will be dificult and hard for me, but I can't let my son ruin his life because his mother can not control him, he need's some dicipline and love at the same time, he need's guidenes and good examples, I know I can be that for him, but I can only do that if he leaves with me.
I don't have the resources to hire an expensive lawyer, so I have to do it on my own.
all I know is that my kid need's me and I know this may not be a battle that I want to get in to, but I have to do it for my son.


Junior Member
Good luck dude

If mama doesn't want him to live with you, it probably won't happen, even if it's what's best for your son. Also, if your son wants to stay with his mother (probably because there are no rules), you'll be beating your head against the wall.
If you some how do get custody, you'll have your hands full, because he'll probably be very rebellious and make your life miserable for making him live with you.
Your best bet is to see if you can talk sense into him about what is best for him.
From experience, you better think long and hard about this one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential