• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Requested to take computer classes....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Milehigh

What is the name of your state? CA

A fellow employee of mine was asked to take some computer classes so she can get herself updated and receive a little more knowledge is some areas. The employer will not allow her to take the classes during work hours, so she has to take them after work at the local college. She was told at first that they would pay for the class and the book, and then they changed their mind and said no they wouldn't pay. So she had to pay for the book and class. This is something they want her to do, can they make her pay for the class, as well as make her take the class after working her 8 hours for the day?

Thanks,

BelizeBreeze

Simple answer is no they cannot. But they also don't have to keep her employed if she doesn't know how to use the computer the way she needs to know to perform her duties.

Milehigh

She does know how to use the program, but they would like her to learn more for future projects etc.

She is going for three hours in the evening one night a week through Nov. and they are not paying her for her time at the class either.

For me it doesn't make sense that if they are the one's asking her to go then why are they not paying for it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There are a lot of things that are legal that don't make sense in some people's eyes. Nonetheless, regardless of whether either you or I think it is reasonable, it is in fact legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">