• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Required Direct Deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tamstermc69

Can my employer require me to have direct deposit to receive my paycheck? I feel this is infringing on my personal rights. I don't want to be difficult but I don't want to have to get a checking/savings account to get paid. Do I have any legal rights concerning this?

U

Unhappy-maximus

Get over it and just get a savings account. A lot of companies these days are eliminating paper and doing their payroll electronically. Work for the government and you won't receive a check. You are required to have a bank account somewhere. Just open a savings account somewhere and go to work.

I

IMB

HOLD ON FOR A MORE OBJECTIVE LEGAL ANSWER. I'VE HAD TO CONVINCE EMPLOYEES WHO DIDN'T WANT TO TO DO SO. I WILL ALSO BE INTERESTED IN THE LEGAL PERSPECTIVE.

G

GetAGrip

And if you'd rather not cash a paycheck at your local ripoff check cashing joint, you think you should demand that your employer pay you in cash? Get real.

A

Attorney_Replogle

To my knowledge there is no requirement that the employer pay the employees in a certain form. In other words, as long as it is cash or check, that's fine. It actually could be American Eagle gold, silver, or platinum coins since by definition they are legal tender, just the same as all other types of American coins and bills are.

Moreover, there is no law to my knowledge that prohibits an employer from requiring the employees set up an account to receive direct deposit. OK?

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">