• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Required rent after vacating property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

manocchiero

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama
I was previously invovled in a month-to-month leasing agreement for my apartment. I provided 60+ days notice to not extend my yearly lease and, at the end of that yearly lease, entered in to a month-to-month lease agreement. I provided the leasing agency 30+ days notice that I would not be extending my stay past the 18th of the next month. I have received a collections notice from the leasing agency after vacating stating that I still owe for the remainder of the last month despite the 30 days notice. Am I still responsible for the rental period from the 19th till then end of that month even though the leasing agency provided me a prorated rent, which I've already paid, from the 1st to the 18th of my last month?

Mrs. D

From a quick scan of Google...Alabama requires 30 days notice before the NEXT RENTAL PERIOD. So, if you paid rent on or before the 1st for the 1 through the end of the month, then you needed to give 30 days notice at least by the 1st of the previous month, and vacate by 11:59 PM on the last day of the month.

If the leasing company agreed in writing to pro-rate and allow you to move out in the middle of the month, you could probably get out of paying the rent for the whole month. If they didn't agree to a mid-month move-out in writing, then the law is on their side in charging you for the whole month.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">