• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Required to cover scars

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bobolowe

Can a company require you to cover your scars?

My friend has some old self harm scarring and was told that she cannot wear dresses anymore due to them being visible occasionally. The dress code allows for dresses to be worn, however, she is singled out because of these scars. Is this legal in the state of Texas??

Just Blue

My friend has some old self harm scarring and was told that she cannot wear dresses anymore due to them being visible occasionally. The dress code allows for dresses to be worn, however, she is singled out because of these scars. Is this legal in the state of Texas??
What type of business is this?

quincy

Here is a link to information on the legalities of employer-mandated dress codes:

https://efte.twc.texas.gov/dress_codes.html

adjusterjack

There are some legs in these photos that darned well should be covered up. Common sense would dictate voluntarily.

scarred legs at DuckDuckGo

She can wear some sort of opaque stocking if she wants to continue wearing dresses.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I think one key factor here would be what role the employee has at the bank. If it's role that involves a lot of customer contact, the appearance requirements can be more strict to avoid putting off customers and projecting the appearance that fits the kind of business it is, e.g. a bank requiring men to wear suits if they deal with customers . But there is a limit to what can be done by the employer to deal with it. Anytime the employer singles out an employee for different treatment because of permanent body features like scars, missing limbs, etc., an employer must make sure that it follows closely the state and federal laws against discrimination by employers based on disability. With this kind of issue, the safest route to go is to consult the federal EEOC, the state agency that handles workplace discrimination laws, and/or an employment law attorney as to what exact rules are going to apply here and what the employer needs to do to meet those rules.

quincy

“Cosmetic disfigurement” is included in the definition of disability under the ADA. When an employer treats an employee less favorably than other employees because of a physical (or mental) impairment (whether the impairment is real or merely perceived by an employer), this could be illegal discrimination.

I agree with Taxing Matters that your friend might be best served by discussing with an employment lawyer in Texas, or with the Texas Workforce Commission, or with the EEOC, the disparate treatment she is experiencing in her workplace because of the scarring.

It sounds like your friend no longer cuts herself. That is really good.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
As a consumer... I'd expect business dress, with hose/tights on employees wearing a skirt/dress. But I doubt I'd be looking closely enough to notice whether they were or not. And, as someone who I like to think possesses somewhat decent social graces, it certainly isn't something I'd comment on, scars or not.

But perhaps your friend should consider wearing hose.

As a consumer... I'd expect business dress, with hose/tights on employees wearing a skirt/dress. But I doubt I'd be looking closely enough to notice whether they were or not. And, as someone who I like to think possesses somewhat decent social graces, it certainly isn't something I'd comment on, scars or not.

But perhaps your friend should consider wearing hose.
Out of curiosity would you feel the same if the scars were from a medical procedure, a birthmark, a burn, etc?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Out of curiosity would you feel the same if the scars were from a medical procedure, a birthmark, a burn, etc?
I'm thinking you missed my point. Scars, no scars, legs, hand, face.... Makes no difference to me. But I'd assume professional attire in a bank - which to one of my generation usually means hose if wearing a skirt/dress (and yes, male or female).

quincy

I'm thinking you missed my point. Scars, no scars, legs, hand, face.... Makes no difference to me. But I'd assume professional attire in a bank - which to one of my generation usually means hose if wearing a skirt/dress (and yes, male or female).
I think the issue is more the fact that the bank’s dress code permits the wearing of dresses but Bobolowe’s friend was told she could not wear dresses because of her visible scars. She was singled out because of her physical appearance.

Under the ADA that could be illegal discrimination. I don’t know whether it is or not.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I think the issue is more the fact that the bank’s dress code permits the wearing of dresses but Bobolowe’s friend was told she could not wear dresses because of her visible scars. She was singled out because of her physical appearance.

Under the ADA that could be illegal discrimination. I don’t know whether it is or not.
I got that. But I also suspect Bob may not know the entire story. Unless it's Bob being told to not wear a dress... ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">