• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Requirements to open an Insurance Policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

corey_floyd

Insurance company can open new policy without consent?

I have recently bought a new house in Texas. I called several companies for insurance quotes. When it was close to closing on the house I called to let my lender know that I had chose insurance company "A" I had them send the binder. My lender told me early that morning she had spoken to insurance Company "B" and they had already sent a binder. We corrected the mix up and had my contract and note drawn up with company "A". I had given no other thought to insurance company "B" since i never requested a policy from them, written or verbal.
Today, I recieved not just a bill from company "B", but a reminder to pay. I found this very disturbing. When I called up, they told me that my lender said they needed the binder so the opened up the policy on my behalf. In addition, the insurance company is now telling me the paperwork loops I have to jump through to cancel my policy, eve though they needed none to open it.

My questions are:
1. Did the insurance company have any legal right to open an account without my explicit authorization, written or verbal?
2. Did the lender have a legal right to open a policy in my name, without a Power of Attorney?
Should the insurance company have requested a Power of Attorney from the lender before opening the policy?

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">