• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rescinding a home-improvement contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

IamMatt

California. On 7/27/2000, my wife and I signed a contract for roughly $8000 in home-repair work after an in-home presentation, with the work to begin on "approximately 8/21." We no longer want the work done by this company. It is past the 3-day rescission period. The contract states, ") Zero down, 7897.00 to be financed. This order is contingent upon customers & lenders approval of financing."

The question is, can we use this clause to rescind the contract by simply saying that we have not found financing of which we approve? Three sticking points concern me.

1) We filled out a very basic financing application with the company, but did not follow up by sending them copies of our tax returns as they said they would need to offer us credit with them (we indicated we would probably obtain financing from a source other than the company). Are we obligated to allow them to make us an offer of financing?

2) The contract has a line that states "25% of contract price penalty for canceling after 3 day rescission" followed by a space for initials, and "I/we received the pamphlet, "Protect your family from lead in your home" followed by a space for initials. We received the pamphlet and initialed the space, but we did not initial the space following the comment about the 2% penalty. Is this going to create a problem?

3) If the answer to #2 is no, could we still be liable if they say they had to order materials or relied on our schedule to their detriment in terms of not securing other work? The contract was for texture-coating the exterior of the home, and the company says it is one of the largest Tex-Cote dealers in the country. We picked standard colors, so they should not have had to order anything custom.

Thank you.

Matt Cook
[email protected]
(310) 543-5182

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IamMatt:
California. On 7/27/2000, my wife and I signed a contract for roughly $8000 in home-repair work after an in-home presentation, with the work to begin on "approximately 8/21." We no longer want the work done by this company. It is past the 3-day rescission period. The contract states, ") Zero down, 7897.00 to be financed. This order is contingent upon customers & lenders approval of financing."

The question is, can we use this clause to rescind the contract by simply saying that we have not found financing of which we approve? Three sticking points concern me.

1) We filled out a very basic financing application with the company, but did not follow up by sending them copies of our tax returns as they said they would need to offer us credit with them (we indicated we would probably obtain financing from a source other than the company). Are we obligated to allow them to make us an offer of financing?

2) The contract has a line that states "25% of contract price penalty for canceling after 3 day rescission" followed by a space for initials, and "I/we received the pamphlet, "Protect your family from lead in your home" followed by a space for initials. We received the pamphlet and initialed the space, but we did not initial the space following the comment about the 2% penalty. Is this going to create a problem?

3) If the answer to #2 is no, could we still be liable if they say they had to order materials or relied on our schedule to their detriment in terms of not securing other work? The contract was for texture-coating the exterior of the home, and the company says it is one of the largest Tex-Cote dealers in the country. We picked standard colors, so they should not have had to order anything custom.

Thank you.

Matt Cook
[email protected]
(310) 543-5182
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My opinion is that you could disapprove of the financing based on an unacceptable interest rate. Therefore the contract is void because the contingencies have not been met.
You are not obligated to get the financing from them unless specified in the contract. Since you did not initial the cancellation clause, you have not agreed to pay the 25% fee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">