• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rescue effort

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

geof

I'm in NJ. My grandfather had a wife who bought a house with her daughter while married to him. The daughter died years ago now she's died too. My grandfather has an interest in the house by virtue of their being husband and wife.

Recently a letter arrived hinting a tax lien foreclosure will take place soon. Three names were noted my grandfather, my cousin, the son of the dead daughter and a strange name which seems to combine the first name of the daughter occupying the house and the last name of the daughter who died.

My grandfather is willing to sell me his interest in the house. I think I could buy out my cousin if I could find him. However, I need to know would doing one or both of the above, give me a controlling interest in the house? I can't pay the back taxes unless I have an ownership interest, I believe.

But, if I can't control the property I can see no reason to get involved, pay the back taxes, and any other encumberances I might find attached to this property.

Any immediate advice will be considered.

Thanks

HomeGuru

geof said:
I'm in NJ. My grandfather had a wife who bought a house with her daughter while married to him. The daughter died years ago now she's died too. My grandfather has an interest in the house by virtue of their being husband and wife.

Recently a letter arrived hinting a tax lien foreclosure will take place soon. Three names were noted my grandfather, my cousin, the son of the dead daughter and a strange name which seems to combine the first name of the daughter occupying the house and the last name of the daughter who died.

My grandfather is willing to sell me his interest in the house. I think I could buy out my cousin if I could find him. However, I need to know would doing one or both of the above, give me a controlling interest in the house? I can't pay the back taxes unless I have an ownership interest, I believe.

But, if I can't control the property I can see no reason to get involved, pay the back taxes, and any other encumberances I might find attached to this property.

Any immediate advice will be considered.

Thanks
**A: my advice is to see an attorney, immediately.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">