• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reselling tickets out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mizdared

Illinois

I live in Indiana and purchased tickets to an event in Illinois. I understand Illinois basically has a no reselling/scalping laws for more than face. But if I am selling the ticket from Indiana to someone not in Illinois via online auction site (starts with an e and ends with a bay), the resell laws in Illinois do not pertain to me and it's not illegal for me to resell for more than face value, correct?

The event host is threating to revoke tickets if they find out you are reselling them in Illinois, thus why I want to make sure my scenario is good.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
But if I am selling the ticket from Indiana to someone not in Illinois via online auction site (starts with an e and ends with a bay), the resell laws in Illinois do not pertain to me and it's not illegal for me to resell for more than face value, correct?
I’m not sure that is correct. You bought tickets for an event to be held in Illinois. Those tickets are thus sold pursuant to the laws of Illinois and the state may well have jurisdiction over you with respect to that transaction given the connection to Illinois that is created.

justalayman

If the issuer of the tickets prohibit reselling or scalping the tickets, they can invalidate the tickets should they be aware of a violation of the terms imposed. That doesn’t even involve illinois law you’re asking about. It is merely a contractual agreement between the issuer and buyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">