• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reservist Work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jersian

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ
I am an Army reservist and also am unemployed at the moment. I am currently claiming benefits, but my unit has random opportunities to work at the unit that range from a few days and up. I was wondering what are the military claiming rules. Also, as a military obligation, I go one weekend a month and 14 to 21 days in the summer. I doubt that i will be unemployed til the summer, but wanted to know where I would stand when it comes to claiming benefits?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

commentator

Take the work and report the wages on your weekly certification for benefits. If you make more than you can draw a week, you will have to re-open your claim when the work is done. But you must take available work of this type. Any week that you work, and this amount reduces your unemployment, or you have to skip a week of unemployment because of the reservist work, you will not be losing a week. The amount of your unemployment claim is fixed, you will just have it tacked on at the end of your claim, instead of getting it those weeks. In other words, you'll still get the same amount of money, you'll just get it in 30 weeks instead of 26 weeks, see?

The unemployment system is very familiar with people working these itenerant weeks here and there in the reserve. As long as you report the wages, and follow the office's instructions to you about filing your weekly certifications for benefits, you should be able to combine the two programs and extend the amount of unemployment you can draw by supplimenting it with reservist wages.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">