• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Residence converted to rental can i used as deduction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hello Again...

This didn't get this sale completed until January 2019 so my research tells me that it will affect taxes this year. I have a couple more questions.

1.) I have a house I want to sell using contract for deed. I claimed it as a rental house last year, but have not had any luck renting it out. I want to sell it using contract for deed this year. I have read that I can deduct the entire sale of the house in one tax year (2019) instead of splitting it up over 10 years (length of contract).

If I do this I am assuming that I still have to pay taxes on the interest part of the payments every year?
And I am still able to claim depreciation every year on the house or do I lose that?

Also if I do this and the buyer defaults do I have any recourse?

Example; If they default in 2021, and I foreclose on the house then I sell it again would I have to pay taxes all over again on the total sales price?

2.) I have another house that I sold last year using contract for deed. I was able to get all of the forms and found software online which allowed me to add this house to my 2018 return. I have an individual interested in buying several years worth of payments for $x,xxx dollars in one lump sum after which they would return the contract to me and I would collect payments again or they would pay another lump sum later on down the road to buy additional payments.

Can I split this up. Example; say they pay me $7,500 in 2019 to buy 36 months of payments. Can I split this up over 2019, 2020, 2021 claiming $2,500 in income each year or do I have to claim the entire amount in one year?

Thanks

LdiJ

Hello Again...

This didn't get this sale completed until January 2019 so my research tells me that it will affect taxes this year. I have a couple more questions.

1.) I have a house I want to sell using contract for deed. I claimed it as a rental house last year, but have not had any luck renting it out. I want to sell it using contract for deed this year. I have read that I can deduct the entire sale of the house in one tax year (2019) instead of splitting it up over 10 years (length of contract).

If I do this I am assuming that I still have to pay taxes on the interest part of the payments every year?
And I am still able to claim depreciation every year on the house or do I lose that?

Also if I do this and the buyer defaults do I have any recourse?

Example; If they default in 2021, and I foreclose on the house then I sell it again would I have to pay taxes all over again on the total sales price?

2.) I have another house that I sold last year using contract for deed. I was able to get all of the forms and found software online which allowed me to add this house to my 2018 return. I have an individual interested in buying several years worth of payments for $x,xxx dollars in one lump sum after which they would return the contract to me and I would collect payments again or they would pay another lump sum later on down the road to buy additional payments.

Can I split this up. Example; say they pay me $7,500 in 2019 to buy 36 months of payments. Can I split this up over 2019, 2020, 2021 claiming $2,500 in income each year or do I have to claim the entire amount in one year?

Thanks
This is a little much to ask of an internet forum manned by volunteers. You really ought to take yourself to a tax professional for advice, AFTER April 15th.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">