• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

residential disclosure law?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chigga

What is the name of your state?florida
hello , I recently bought a house(june 24) two days ago i get a letter from the county,it turns out the guy that sold us the house did a bunch of repairs on the house after the hurricane withought any permits,now the county wants to give me a lot of fines,and to make matters worse i had no idea that he did any work to the house.so now i am trying to find out about this residential disclosure law, do any of you understand any of this?

chigga said:
hello , I recently bought a house(june 24) two days ago i get a letter from the county,it turns out the guy that sold us the house did a bunch of repairs on the house after the hurricane withought any permits,now the county wants to give me a lot of fines,and to make matters worse i had no idea that he did any work to the house.so now i am trying to find out about this residential disclosure law, do any of you understand any of this?
he is supposed to disclose what work he did to the house. You are supposed to ask to see permits. If he does not have permits/will not get permits, you choose whether or not want to take the chance of buying a house that had work done with no permits.

Sounds like he did not disclose the work in the first place. If that's the case, you can go after him for non-disclosure.

HomeGuru

chigga said:

**A: yes, I understand all of this.

chigga

thanks guys that makes me feel a little beter.we never got a disclosure form,what im trying to find out now is if it is required by law to suppy a property disclosure form before selling a house?

HomeGuru

chigga said:
thanks guys that makes me feel a little beter.we never got a disclosure form,what im trying to find out now is if it is required by law to suppy a property disclosure form before selling a house?

**A: your Realtor should have told you the answer. You did not have one?

HomeGuru

chigga said:
youre a great help homeguru :confused: :confused: :confused: thanks

**A: you are being sarcastic. YOU are the one that did not help yourself.
How you may ask? Well you did not use a Realtor, or get a home inspection, or complete a building permit research package, or find and read the Florida disclosure law, get a survey, review the title report, hire a contractor, talk to the city building department, ask the seller questions about permits, contractors, repairs etc. ALL prior to closing.
Ignorance of the law is no defense. And just plain ignorance is also no defense.

Last edited:

chigga

wow you must be able to read minds, :eek: .i did get an inspection,and i did ask if any work was done .how am i supposed to know that i had to reasearch the houses history,i thought everything was in order

HomeGuru

chigga said:
wow you must be able to read minds, :eek: .i did get an inspection,and i did ask if any work was done .how am i supposed to know that i had to reasearch the houses history,i thought everything was in order

**A: and it's obvious that you thought wrong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">