• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Residential Lease/Rental Agreement question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

abeckner

What is the name of your state? Indiana
I have four months left on my Residential Lease/Rental Agreement. My landlord wants to put the house on the market. The agreement is a standard RL/RA that you buy at Office Depot. Can he do this or is he breaking the lease? Also, if he does put the house on the market, do I have to cooperate with the showings?
thanks,
Allen

Yes and yes. He will need to give you proper notice for showings, etc. Also, know that the new owner (assuming the property sells) must honor the time remaining on your lease or make it worth your while to terminate early.

M

macro9999

Allen, would you like to leave the apartment and have your moving expense paid for and all of your deposit returned?

Then co-operate and get the house sold fast and hope the new owner wants to move in fast, then you can make some money on this deal.

If not, then calm down, and realize no one can tell you to get out until the last day of your lease no matter who owns the house.

JETX

Allen, interesting responses......

Your answers:
Q1) "I have four months left on my Residential Lease/Rental Agreement. My landlord wants to put the house on the market. The agreement is a standard RL/RA that you buy at Office Depot. Can he do this or is he breaking the lease?"
A1) The owner has every right to sell the house... even with you as a tenant. However, as long as you comply with your lease (pay on time, etc.), you can stay for the full lease term..... even with the new owner. If the current or new owners want you out before your lease is finished, you can negotiate with them (read $$'s for your 'inconvenience'), but you are under NO obligation to terminate early.

Q2) "Also, if he does put the house on the market, do I have to cooperate with the showings?"
A2) If the current lease you have makes no mention of showings, etc., then NO you do not have to co-operate. Simply, as long as you are in compliance with your lease, YOU have all the rights of tenancy. And this does NOT include having strangers pop in at all hours or to trapse through YOUR home. Further, there is no requirement for you to keep the home in 'model home' condition. It is expensive to show a house to prospective owners.... cleaning, making beds, utilities (A/C costs to cool, heating costs to heat) below/above your norm, vacating premises while the prospects wander around, etc.
Your choice... negotiate a 'per viewing' price ($50??) and make sure that you get a written agreement about any 'walk-away losses' (small items often 'walk' during a showing!!), or
tell the current owners that you will be glad to allow viewing... starting the day you move-out.

And finally.... remember, the 'new' owners will very probably want the house for themselves... or for new renters. Simply, this means that you have little if anything to lose for your standing up for your rights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">