• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Resources for homeowners

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bkr43050

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I recently received a letter from my insurance company stating that they were going to cancel my coverage for reasons which were cited. The reasons were ridiculous and I was able to work through my local agent to reinstate our coverage...for now. :rolleyes:

My question is, are there any forums or alliances of homeowners which would allow us to consolidate efforts in trying to eliminate these unfair practiced by insurance companies? I have since heard from numerous others with similar type stories and often times much worse. The insurance companies want our business as long as the checks are flowing their way. Once we try to use the policy in any way we are discarded. Any reference to action groups or such would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

bkr43050

We had a small area of shingles that had blown off (approximately 10) and I have a company scheduled to do the repair now. But the first item cited was that the roof was "uninsurable". The second reason stated an unsafe steps/stairs with no rail. We were baffled by this one. The agent said it most likely is referring to our deck which does not have a rail. It is not above the 36" height which would require a rail anyway. Even if it was we were never notified and told that they were concerned about this. And the third reason was that we have an "aggressive dog". :rolleyes: Our dog is a yellow lab/golden retriever mixture with no history of aggressiveness. Again the agent said this finding was ridiculous.

The problem is that the company sent out an third party insurance investigator (or something like that) and he made these observations. It appears that this third party company gets paid based on the number of findings that they have. So obviously it is in their best interest to come up with something. The guy that did the inspection/review actually got out of his vehicle with a tennis ball and proceeded to play catch with our dog for a bit before starting his little walkaround.

We had a small claim for wind damage a short while prior to this visit which we suspect prompted them to come out and check things out. I think they just wanted to find something to drop us for. They said we could continue coverage with them byu fixing all three conditions. We are already repairing the shingles. We have no need to install a rail. And I will be darned if I heve them force me to relinquish ownership of our faithful and NON-aggressive family pet. Therefore, I am shopping around although the agent was able to smooth things over with our policy status...for now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">