• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Responsibility for debts of a deceased sibling

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frtblossom

What is the name of your state? Idaho
My brother is dying from liver disease. He has been living with me for the past 10 years. He is on disability and medicare. He doesn't have a wife or children. I am not his legal gaurdian. I live from paycheck to paycheck. He has a very small life insurance policy naming me as the beneficiary. He doesn't have a will. Can anyone tell me if I am in any way responsible for his debts? Do I need to turn over the insurance money?

seniorjudge

frtblossom said:
What is the name of your state? Idaho
My brother is dying from liver disease. He has been living with me for the past 10 years. He is on disability and medicare. He doesn't have a wife or children. I am not his legal gaurdian. I live from paycheck to paycheck. He has a very small life insurance policy naming me as the beneficiary. He doesn't have a will. Can anyone tell me if I am in any way responsible for his debts? Do I need to turn over the insurance money?
Q: Can anyone tell me if I am in any way responsible for his debts? Do I need to turn over the insurance money?

A: No and no. That money is yours and you deserve it for being his caretaker.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">