• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Responsibility for medical coverage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mmattox

What is the name of your state? Nebraska

I recently married, and my husband has a son that he pays monthly child support for, and is the NCP. In his original decree, it was stated that he was responsible for providing medical insurance for his son, which he did. Soon after the divorce, his ex-wife married and moved out of state. They filed an agreement for visitation and other items that were affected by her moving out of state. After awhile, my husband switched jobs and no longer had medical coverage available to him. At that point, his ex-wife picked up the medical coverage. They did not go back to court and modify the decree or anything. About a year and a half ago, my husband got a job where medical insurance was available to him, but neither he, or his ex-wife made an effort to change their son's medical insurance coverage to my husband's policy. Now that we are married, he is going to drop his insurance, and go onto my policy. His insurance is not very good. His ex-wife recently brought up the fact that he is supposed to be providing the medical for their son, according to the original decree. Are we supposed to now put his son on my policy even though she has carried the insurance on him this past year? Can she come back and ask for money for all of the time that she has provided the insurance?

Last edited:

Silverplum

mmattox said:
Colorado!
Hiya, neighbor. :)
Give us more info. Tell your story. Type it up. I know you have more to the story than that. ;)

*edited to add: What, exactly, does your decree say about responsibility for insurance??

Last edited:

Silverplum

mmattox said:

I recently married, and my husband has a son that he pays monthly child support for, and is the NCP. In his original decree, it was stated that he was responsible for providing medical insurance for his son, which he did. Soon after the divorce, his ex-wife married and moved out of state. They filed an agreement for visitation and other items that were affected by her moving out of state. After awhile, my husband switched jobs and no longer had medical coverage available to him. At that point, his ex-wife picked up the medical coverage. They did not go back to court and modify the decree or anything. About a year and a half ago, my husband got a job where medical insurance was available to him, but neither he, or his ex-wife made an effort to change their son's medical insurance coverage to my husband's policy. Now that we are married, he is going to drop his insurance, and go onto my policy. His insurance is not very good. His ex-wife recently brought up the fact that he is supposed to be providing the medical for their son, according to the original decree. Are we supposed to now put his son on my policy even though she has carried the insurance on him this past year? Can she come back and ask for money for all of the time that she has provided the insurance?
Yes, you should put his son on your insurance. In order to abide by the ruling decree. I would imagine that yes, Mom could legally ask to be reimbursed for the cost of covering son.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Yep, he's responsible for it. And he should have been repaying Mom for the kid's portion of the premium.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
mmattox said:
I think just that he was responsible for covering their son with medical insurance.
You would be wrong. He is responsible if that means using his wife's insurance to provide it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">