• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

responsible for credit card dead before or after divorce?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mctpl

Hi, I'm a permanent resident alien, married to an american. I live in the Bay Area, CA. since 1991.
My husband has credit card dead and doesn't pay his student loan. Am I responsible for his dead, while I'm married to him?
I have been herrassed by creditors a few years ago. They claimed that I'm responsible because I'm his wife.
Is that thru?
Thank you!

L

lildevil719

if you're still married to him, yes...depends on where you live, though...were the credit card debt and the student loan incurred before or after you got married? If you were not married when he incurred those debts, then they are his alone...when I got married, my husband had about $6000 worth of debt, and all of it went into collections while we were married, but none of it is on my credit record at all...hope that helps you!
Melissa

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">