• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

responsible for employer's oversight?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Warmenuf

What is the name of your state? North Carolina
I retired in June, 2006. I was not eligible for a pension, and had just received final distribution of the 401-K plan which my company had terminated as of 31 December, 2005. I was one of the few at my company eligible for health insurance, though they went a year before giving it to me, and I had to remind them of their oversight.

The main issue: Though I retired 8 June, the company kept me enrolled in the health insurance plan through the end of June. (I know this because my $55 contribution was deducted from my final paycheck.) Apparently I am still enrolled, however. I have received no notice of cancellation of insurance from the provider (Blue Cross), and my latest blood pressure medication (the only one I take) was still free on 1 August when I refilled it, since it is a generic. I am aware of the company's COBRA obligations, which I will not be able to take advantage of because I can't afford the full premium.

Can they legally bill ME for their mistake in continuing to pay for my health insurance? Am I under legal obligation to point out their error to them, if it is an error?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Continuing to receive a benefit that you know you are not entitled to is a form of theft. So yes, you are responsible for pointing it out to them.

While technically they COULD bill you for their mistake, the likelihood that they will do so is slim.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">