• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rest Period Laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hazelnut7289

What is the name of your state? Washington state

Hello all,
I am a night nurse at an assisted living. My normal shift is 10pm to 6am. This next week, my employer scheduled me for a mandatory paid training from 9am to 5pm, followed by my shift from 10pm to 6am. I was a little surprised and concerned, but my employer was evasive when I approached her about it, she would only tell me she had no other choice and that being a nurse is hard. It may be worth adding this comes halfway through an 8 day schedule which I was also not consulted about, and I normally work a rotation of 4 on, 2 off. Does this seem like a violation of labor laws, or do I need to just suck it up?

LdiJ

Google "nursing shift laws Washington state". The first link that you get will likely have the answers that you need. Apparently nurses cannot be required to work overtime in WA state. However I did not read enough to see if your exact question was addressed.

Hazelnut7289

There is no law requiring any particular number of hours between shifts, if that is what you're asking.
Thank you, that was my question. Several other people had seen the schedule and approached me saying it was illegal, but I couldn't find any conclusive info.

quincy

Thank you, that was my question. Several other people had seen the schedule and approached me saying it was illegal, but I couldn't find any conclusive info.
The laws changed on May 8 with your Governor's signature on Substitute House Bill 1155. The new laws on rest breaks and mandatory overtime will go into effect on January 1, 2020.

Here is a link to the law:
http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2019-20/Pdf/Bills/Session Laws/House/1155-S.SL.pdf#page1

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">