• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restraining order on another tenant in Bldg. - Landord responisble?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fakefur

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

I am in Los Angeles CA and have been being harassed by another tenant. (a female being harassed by a male) It got so bad that I now have a temp. restraining order and a court date to continue that order in 3 weeks. This man has numerous complaints against him for misconduct. Can I ask my landlord to evict him? Is the landlord required to provide me with a safe living environment? What are my rights?

Does anyone know if there is anything in CA law codes I can referrence?

Thank you.

CA girl

I don't know the legalities in your situation, but I had a very similiar situation. The boyfriend of the assistant manager threatened my life. They had a key to my apartment and he had a machine to make a key to any lock. I got a temporary restraining order on him, but the judge wouldn't give me a permanent one. He came to court with a lawyer.

He and the assistant manager were finally evicted but did not move for over 3 months. He still drives through the complex. I don't know why, but it creeps me out.

I think you should write a letter to the owner of the property and let them know what is going on. Send it certified so they know that you are serious. I would include a copy of the restraining order. The owner will probably ask him to leave rather than face a possible lawsuit.

Good luck to you.

fairlight

I hope you made the landlord aware of the restraining order, and that you documented every case of harassment by the other tenant for him. If you didn't, it may be hard to go to the landlord now and request that he evict the tenant without having proof that he was aware of the harassment. It will, of course, help if the "numerous complaints of misconduct" are from other tenants. It isn't clear from your post.

What does your lawyer say?

south

Tell the landlord immediately what is going on.

The tenants should not be harassing other tenants and it is grounds for eviction.

If the tenant is in a rent control unit paying cheap rent the landlord may be all too pleased to kick him out after a warning that he will probably ignore.

fakefur said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

I am in Los Angeles CA and have been being harassed by another tenant. (a female being harassed by a male) It got so bad that I now have a temp. restraining order and a court date to continue that order in 3 weeks. This man has numerous complaints against him for misconduct. Can I ask my landlord to evict him? Is the landlord required to provide me with a safe living environment? What are my rights?

Does anyone know if there is anything in CA law codes I can referrence?

Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">