• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restraining order without a charge?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



Cincinnati, OH. Is it possible in Ohio to obtain a restraining order against someone without filing an accompanying charge? I allowed a friend to temporarily live in my apartment with me while he got his life in order (he had a serious accident, loss of job/income, etc.). That was a year ago, he refuses to leave and won't get a job. I have literally supported him during this time, giving him food and shelter, paying his bills when he couldn't, while he repaid me by running up my phone bill, having uninvited guests in my home, and using my computer for "questionable" activities. He is also an alcoholic, and it was during a recent drinking binge that he verbally threatened me. Sober, he would not harm anyone, but he is a very nasty, hateful, angry drunk, and he has frightened me to the point I don't know what he'll do the next time he starts drinking. I don't want to file a criminal charge that would ruin his life or jeopardize his chances of getting a job, but I do want him out of my apartment and I want no further contact with him, since this threat. What can I do? Thanks in advance for any assistance or advice. Janet.



call the sheriff/police and let them know you want him out of your house but tell them you don't want to press charges. be prepared to show it is yours and not his.

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential