• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restraining orders: Can I talk ABOUT ex-girlfriend to mutual friends?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

anonymous

My ex girlfriend and I both have restraining orders on each other for a year. We have mutual friends around the area, and I am wondering if I will get in trouble for talking about her, or what I think about her to a mutual friend. I know she will probably find out what I am saying eventually, because she's a gossip queen. But, legally, would that be construed as "communicating" with her? I don't want to have anything to do with her, in fact, I think she's psyco, and I think people need to know that before they get hurt like I did, and am, getting hurt by her. Can I talk to her parents and appologize for what I did to the house we were living in, when I was trying to get away from her? Can I talk to her friends and just ask them how they are doing, as long as I don't talk about her, or ask about her? I'm afraid she is talking crap about me, and slandering me all over the place.. is there anything I can do about that? Can I ask what she has said about me?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by anonymous:
My ex girlfriend and I both have restraining orders on each other for a year. We have mutual friends around the area, and I am wondering if I will get in trouble for talking about her, or what I think about her to a mutual friend. I know she will probably find out what I am saying eventually, because she's a gossip queen. But, legally, would that be construed as "communicating" with her? I don't want to have anything to do with her, in fact, I think she's psyco, and I think people need to know that before they get hurt like I did, and am, getting hurt by her. Can I talk to her parents and appologize for what I did to the house we were living in, when I was trying to get away from her? Can I talk to her friends and just ask them how they are doing, as long as I don't talk about her, or ask about her? I'm afraid she is talking crap about me, and slandering me all over the place.. is there anything I can do about that? Can I ask what she has said about me? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

It is an accepted principal of "Freudian" psychology that "people have a need to talk." Whether or not you would be breaking any laws, my best advice to you is don't talk. When you hear yourself talking about her, just stop. Fight the urge, change the subject, and understand that there is no value in it. Even if you hear about her talking about you, change the subject because in the final analysis, it doesn't matter.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">