• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restraining orders

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lebeck

This takes place in Oregon. My nephew is 18 and was dating a girl only 16. She filed a restraining order against him stating he phyically abused her, it was not true but he is not the most intelligent guy and didn't fight it. This took place approx 1 month ago, the order is in affect for 1 year. She is now trying to get back together with him. My nephew lives at my parents house. Could my parents be liable if they allow her and him to be in the house together? Especially since she is a minor?
Please help if you can.

Becky

A

Attorney_Replogle

In our society, probably the parents will be guilty or liable. The reasoning is that the restraining order is still effective whether the girl wants to get back together or not. So, if the boy's parents allow the son to be together with the girl (violating the restraining order) in their home then they are conspiring to break the law with their son. Yet is that truly a conspiracy due to the relationship of the parties and the fact that the son is a minor? Possibly not, but I am not sure. But be assured that their are many prosecutors that will find a way to convict the parents and or the son nine ways to Sunday, just for the fun of it.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

L

LIS-TROM

All his girl friend has to do is go to the court and fill out a MOTION form to have the restraining order dropped. Then no one will get in trouble. If they find out the girl is going to his house she can get in trouble for breaking her own restraing order. I have already been there and done that. It may take a few days to be heard but it is worth tha then you nephew going to jail for a long time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">