• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restroom law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The urgency often doesn’t allow one to be discrete.
I didn't mean the urgent use. Rather, the use of the "wrong" bathroom and anyone's "upset" would be handled discretely "in house".

I'd guess most women/girls who've experienced an unexpected massive bleeding episode would also understand the urgent need. ;)

justalayman

I didn't mean the urgent use. Rather, the use of the "wrong" bathroom and anyone's "upset" would be handled discretely "in house".

I'd guess most women/girls who've experienced an unexpected massive bleeding episode would also understand the urgent need. ;)
Oh, the letting of blood in no way compares to the urgency caused by the ingestion of fats following a cholecystectomy. tThe possibility of embarrassment due to one’s concern of others seeing an episode of (please pardon me for this) explosive diarrhea (like in nuclear level, not some little skyrocket pop) is not the only concern. The pain associated with the need to relieve oneself is apparently quite similar to childbirth (as Such pain has been described to me). When your mind is doing all it can to convince you to relieve the pain, all you have to do is let it go now and your butt is starting to listen, well, it’s not an internal argument I ever wish to experience again.

I think the issue of discretion side steps the actual issue of the availability of the women’s restroom. The point is there are times when there is a women’s room available and not a men’s room. It may be at a sporting event or a bar or a place of employment or myriad other venues. Somebody somewhere will object to the use and is likely to not be discrete in their stating their dissatisfaction of the practice.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yup, we get the mansplaining. Thanks for your contribution. Sorry our experiences are not to your liking.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Apparently so, since Certain People do not seem inclined to believe that Certain Other People can have the same or similar experiences.

justalayman

Apparently so, since Certain People do not seem inclined to believe that Certain Other People can have the same or similar experiences.
I’ve got no problem accepting women can have the same issue. In fact prior to my surgery a woman cautioned me about the issue.

But whether women can have the same experience as men is not the issue. It was somebody’s statement that the women’s restroom is always busier than the men’s restroom. It simply is not true. It can go either way. Generally I find that either they both have waiting lines or they are both effectively vacant.

justalayman

And my experience to the contrary was disregarded.

So there we are.
Nope, not at all. It was that your experience was your experience but your experience is not the universal experience.

So, yes, sometimes I have seen the ladies room overwhelmed while the men’s room not overly busy. It just isn’t that that has been the issue the majority of the times I’ve noticed such a comparison.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You guys don't even know when you're doing it. Nor do I expect you to. It's so ground into the fabric that you don't even see it.

I've had enough. I'm not angry - yet - just exasperated. But that's not going to remain the case long.

I started out with what I intended as a good-natured, lightly humorous take on the situation. I should have known better. Evidently even that much posed too much of a threat. No, MY experience can't be universal because yours is that. No mere woman could possibly understand the pain a guy has to go through in this situation. Fine. You all win. Stealth's and my experiences don't matter because you men have it so much worse. We can't even have equal experiences - yours have to be in the superlative.

Okay. I got it. Message received. I won't inflict you with any more responses - you guys are free to own all experiences in full.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
And my experience to the contrary was disregarded.
Your experience though seems to be limited if it leads you to believe, as you have stated here, that it is ALWAYS the case that when the men's room is fully occupied the women's always is also occupied (and always with a longer line). Through over a quarter of century of having to be alert to where bathrooms are located and how occupied they are, I can tell you with certainty that there are instances where the men's room is full and the women's room is not. And probably more often than you'd think. It varies widely, as I indicted before, depending on the type of venue, who is attending, and how the bathrooms were designed.

And even if what you believed were the case, certainly such a law would at least aid women who had an urgent need to use the restroom, wouldn't it? Would you suspect a woman wanting that kinds of access to the men's room of some nefarious purpose as you have indicated you suspect of men? It is that, more than anything, that starts to make this out to be framed as a male v female issue in this thread.

I'mTheFather

Colorado

Not sure what subforum this belongs in as I'm certainly not a lawyer and this one might be where this topic belongs. If not, feel free to move. Apologizes in advance.

So I recently had my gallbladder removed and as a consequence I get diarrhea from time to time. I was thinking that if I was at a restaurant and needed to go NOW and the men's stalls are all occupied, could I use the woman's restroom in an emergency? Granted, this state has transgender laws about restrooms, but I'm not transgender so I don't fall under that banner.

If it is legal to use the woman's restroom, can I be told what law it is so that I can keep it in my wallet please? Thanks in advance!

The really easy solution is to explain your situation to your server when you go out, and ask about their policies. I'm pretty sure they'd rather have you use the women's (or employees' if they have one) rather than any other place you'd use if the men's room is occupied.

quincy

The University of Michigan increased the number of women's restrooms in their football stadium ("The Big House") under pressure from female football fans.

Prior to stadium remodeling, disgruntled (and apparently desperate) women commandeered the men's restrooms in protest. The female fans would often miss a quarter of each game waiting in the long lines that would form outside "their" restrooms.

Although the number of restrooms and "spaces" were equal in number at the time, the men's restrooms did not have similar lines. The University of Michigan studied the "flow" of football fans in and out of the restrooms and it was discovered that females took 5 minutes to every one minute for males (or some statistic like that - I can try to locate the actual stats and study if necessary).

The bottom line was that, given an equal population of males and females, females required more bathroom facilities than men due to the greater amount of time females spent using the bathrooms.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
No, MY experience can't be universal because yours is that. No mere woman could possibly understand the pain a guy has to go through in this situation. Fine. You all win. Stealth's and my experiences don't matter because you men have it so much worse. We can't even have equal experiences - yours have to be in the superlative.
So women's take on things are the only ones to be believed in this day in age? You totally discounted MY experiences and observations but that's ok, right? Neither my experiences nor yours are universal. I have seen what you have observed: that particularly at large events at peak times the women's restroom has longer lines than the men's room. I am in no way saying that's not true. But it is not the case in every situation that when the men's room is full the women's room is also full. I have seen it myself that there are situation where that is not the case, and it is not particularly rare. Yet you won't even acknowledge that these instances might occur; that my experience, though different from yours, might actually be true.

You seeming also won't believe that a man with an urgent need to use a restroom wouldn't have some nefarious motive for wanting to use the women's room when the men's room is full.

The bottom line was that, given an equal population of males and females, females required more bathroom facilities than men due to the greater amount of time females spent using the bathrooms.
That has been well documented and certainly supports what cbg has observed. But that does not logically mean that in every situation in which the men's room is full the women's room is also full at the same time.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, it's not okay for me to discount your experiences, Tax. I wasn't aware that I was doing so. I said, in what I still at the time was believing was a joking manner, that the OP didn't need to worry about it because it wasn't ever going to happen - using my experiences to draw on.

Suddenly I was creating a gender based issue. Women who chimed in to support me with their experiences got shoved aside. WE couldn't understand the pain guys went through with this kind of issue. And when I tried to defend MY experiences, I was told in effect that since my experience wasn't universal it didn't count.

If you say you've seen instances where there was no line at the women's room and there was at the men's, fine - I believe you. I still haven't. But I guess that doesn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">