• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restroom law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Yet my (empathetic) comment that most women/girls can understand an urgent need for a restroom was discounted as being "not as". Well.... Until you've stood around with blood literally running down your legs and pooling at your feet while waiting for a bathroom? Please.

As I'm The Father said, the solution is planning ahead - you have a meeting and may need to use any available restroom? Have a quiet word with whoever is running the meeting (good idea anyway, in case you have to walk out of the meeting for that reason). At a restaurant? A quiet word with server. In a store? A quiet word with a manager.

There are plenty of situations where one must enter the other-gender restroom. We're all just a bit too uptight about it. If I need to go into the Men's for my own use or to check on Dad - I'm not there to check out anyone's junk. Seriously - it's never pretty.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If the Y-chromosomed among us are willing to acknowledge that an urgent need (and corresponding pain) can belong to either gender, and if the same Y-chromosomed are likewise willing to acknowledge that speaking purely as a matter of biologic odds, in the long run it is more likely for the lines to be outside the ladies than the mens, I will acknowledge that even though I have not personally observed it, it is possible for it to be the other way around and acknowledge that since everyone's experience is difference, no one's experience, including my own, gets to be universal.

Then, maybe, we can all shake hands and be friends again? Good, I'd like that.

justalayman

Yet my (empathetic) comment that most women/girls can understand an urgent need for a restroom was discounted as being "not as". Well.... Until you've stood around with blood literally running down your legs and pooling at your feet while waiting for a bathroom? Please.

As I'm The Father said, the solution is planning ahead - you have a meeting and may need to use any available restroom? Have a quiet word with whoever is running the meeting (good idea anyway, in case you have to walk out of the meeting for that reason). At a restaurant? A quiet word with server. In a store? A quiet word with a manager.

There are plenty of situations where one must enter the other-gender restroom. We're all just a bit too uptight about it. If I need to go into the Men's for my own use or to check on Dad - I'm not there to check out anyone's junk. Seriously - it's never pretty.
Oh come on. While I didn’t ignore the issue of menstruation, apparently you did ignore the issue of extreme pain associated with the issues that originated this thread. That sets it apart in the level of urgency in my mind.

Of course not the fathers suggestion is a good one but the entire thread was premised on a situation where use of the other genders restroom was prohibited. His suggestion works only if the business is amiable to the use of the opposite genders restroom

And notice how I removed this from being a men v women issue. Women are subject to the same issues when their gall bladder is removed so it isn’t a men v women thing. It is a opposite gender issue. What if a woman were to experience the sudden urgency and the women’s restroom was full? They would be faced with the same legal issues as the men would when attempting to use the women’s restroom

justalayman

If the Y-chromosomed among us are willing to acknowledge that an urgent need (and corresponding pain) can belong to either gender, and if the same Y-chromosomed are likewise willing to acknowledge that speaking purely as a matter of biologic odds, in the long run it is more likely for the lines to be outside the ladies than the mens, I will acknowledge that even though I have not personally observed it, it is possible for it to be the other way around and acknowledge that since everyone's experience is difference, no one's experience, including my own, gets to be universal.

Then, maybe, we can all shake hands and be friends again? Good, I'd like that.
I think I did acknowledge that but not based on a y or X chromosome. Both genders can experience the same issues with the issues that were the original concern in this thread

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
(and there's never any pain associated with menstruation. No, of course not.)

That's probably the best I can expect. Okay, I'll take it. Everybody friends again? Good.

justalayman

(and there's never any pain associated with menstruation. No, of course not.)

That's probably the best I can expect. Okay, I'll take it. Everybody friends again? Good.
no, it’s not good. I had no intention to claim there is no pain with menstruation but from what I’ve experienced and from what I’ve been told of mentrual pain (wife, 2 daughters, one had ovarian cysts) I don’t believe there is a real comparison. It is a very different sort of pain and the fact there is such a sudden onset makes it worse.

But even more importantly, the post that elicited my reply that has offended you so greatly, didn’t even mention pain. The concern of the leakage was the issue. And I still don’t see how the mentrual pain is an issue. It’s not like going to the restroom will allow it to subside. With the issue at hand, relieving yourself does relieve the pain; that acute, severe pain.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
In all honesty, based on my own, personal experience(s) with needing to get to a toilet ASAP and only the opposite-gender restroom being available - no one really makes a fuss if they realize the situation was urgent/emergent.

Lighten up. We were actually trying to be empathetic. But the mansplaining gets mighty old. Stop eating fatty foods if it's a problem.

/stealth out.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I'm surprised by the problem all these guys are having because they've had their gallbladder removed. Mine has been gone for nearly 30 years now, and I don't have the problems that the guys seem to be having. Mayhaps they need to consult with their physicians again.

justalayman

My slip and slide/olestra issues subsided years ago but knowing why I had the issues to begin with, I can understand why some people may have chronic issues associated with fat intake. In fact, now you’ve gotten me curious to know why I don’t have problems with fat intake. It would seem it should be a life long issue. Apparently the body somehow compensates for the lack of a bile reservoir.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
So the only valid reason for urgently needing a restroom is pain. Okay. Now we know where we all stand.

My offer to be friends again stands as well. But if I have to agree that a women's-only issue is somehow less valid because it doesn't involve the same pain as a gallbladder issue in order to get your agreement, then you know where you can go.

justalayman

So the only valid reason for urgently needing a restroom is pain. Okay. Now we know where we all stand.

My offer to be friends again stands as well. But if I have to agree that a women's-only issue is somehow less valid because it doesn't involve the same pain as a gallbladder issue in order to get your agreement, then you know where you can go.
I said no such thing.

You want to compare apples to oranges. Theyre. both fruit but they aren’t the same fruit. A woman’s issue isn’t less valid but it presents a very different basis for for the urgency.

Pain, excruciating to the point that one is almost willing to defecate wherever you are to stop it sort of pain, and the knowledge that your visit to the restroom will alleviate the pain is just different than, oh, my uterus hurts but I can still walk sort of pain. The pain I experienced was literally disabling.

Maybe it’s time for a vacation like I intended a few days ago.

Y’all enjoy yourselves. I think it’s time to retire.

Agent Smith

Probably not, no. But at the same time, I'm going on 62 and I have yet to see it happen that there was a long line at the men's but no line at the women's; however, I see the opposite weekly. The OP's insistence on having a written law on his person that will give him permission to use the women's is beginning to make me awfully suspicious of his motives.
I said I had my gallbladder taken out and stated the reason as to why I came to this board asking about it so I don't get my butt in trouble. Thus, I wanted to keep the pertinent law on hand in my wallet in case some overzealous cop wants to arrest me.

Last edited:

Agent Smith

I do have a condition that at times causes an urgent need to use a restroom. And believe me, there are businesses that would prevent me from using the women's bathroom if the men's bathroom was full even if the women's bathroom was completely unoccupied. And under Colorado law, the business would be justified in doing that because no law says it can't. That would be the reason for having such a law — it would force the business to accommodate me. the OP, and others who have a medical condition that prompts an immediate need to use the restroom. This isn't about whether a prosecutor might file some kind of charges should I go into the women's restroom. It's about whether the business could prevent me from doing it in the first place. So to this extent I sympathize with the OP.

So far as I know, no state has such a law that goes as far as allowing one sex to use the restroom of the other when a medical need requires urgent use of a restroom. If any state does it is very much the unusual one. Certainly Colorado does not have such a law. And the reason for it is obvious: most of the public would not support such a law because of privacy concerns, a lot of people don't want persons of the opposite sex barging into a restroom they are in regardless of the urgent need the person may have to use a restroom.

The reality is that with such a condition you have to do some planning yourself to deal with the possibility that there may not be a restroom immediately available to you to use. It's not fun, but you are likely to find yourself in that situation at some point, and it's best to be prepared for that.

But it's totally fine for some transgender to use one. I see now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">