• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

retail store

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cowbulls

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
My corporation has had a retail store in the same space for over 13 years. The economic situation has caused us quite a problem. We are behind on our rent by one month and part of December. I called the landlord company last month to let them know that I planned to get the rent caught up during December as that’s usually a very good month for retail. I received no further communications from my landlord company until today. I received a certified letter threatening to take my business possessions in 5 business days.

What are my rights as a tenant?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Gail in Georgia

Your rights as a tenant are to pay the owed rent to avoid a Dispossessory Warrant (Georgia's version of an eviction) being presented to you.

Here are the steps on evicting someone in Georgia...

Georgia Eviciton Procudures

Sounds like you've received the first step; a Demand Letter. If rent is not paid this will be followed by Warrant summons. You will need to answer this within seven days if you wish to argue your case in court. If you do not answer it the judgement against you will be made and the physical eviction will soon follow.

Gail

JETX

Ignore 'Gails' Information.....

You are a COMMERCIAL tenant and the residential landlord-tenant laws do NOT apply to your lease.
Read your lease to see what specific actions can be taken for your BREACH.

johnd

Jetx is correct.

Assuming the LL knows what he is talking about, you have apparently agreed to allow the LL (5 days after default) to seize property on the premises to satisfy the debt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">