• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

retail theft in Wisconsin

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mollykins2

I co-owned a store in Wisconsin with my daughter. We shared storage space and bathrooms with another store. Between Dec 1999 and Feb. 2000 we moved our store location. In Jan I was contacted by the police dept about possible stolen merchandise in my store from the owner of the other store that shared storage with us. When talking to the officer I admitted that I had taken a bag of jelly beans ($4) over the summer and that any other items were purchased from his employees or from other stores. The officer took the bag back and said that he was embarrassed about such a petty problem. I thought everything was done. Now I have been served with papers for retail theft of under $1000 and have to make a cour appearance. When I read the complaint, filed by the Chief of Police, there were numerous differences from the original statement made to the questioning office. When I asked for a copy of the original, I was refused. What are my rights, and isn't this a minor problem, not worth wasting court time. I understand that I did wrong and appologized, but now I face jail and possibly losing my business. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mollykins2:
I co-owned a store in Wisconsin with my daughter. We shared storage space and bathrooms with another store. Between Dec 1999 and Feb. 2000 we moved our store location. In Jan I was contacted by the police dept about possible stolen merchandise in my store from the owner of the other store that shared storage with us. When talking to the officer I admitted that I had taken a bag of jelly beans ($4) over the summer and that any other items were purchased from his employees or from other stores. The officer took the bag back and said that he was embarrassed about such a petty problem. I thought everything was done. Now I have been served with papers for retail theft of under $1000 and have to make a cour appearance. When I read the complaint, filed by the Chief of Police, there were numerous differences from the original statement made to the questioning office. When I asked for a copy of the original, I was refused. What are my rights, and isn't this a minor problem, not worth wasting court time. I understand that I did wrong and appologized, but now I face jail and possibly losing my business. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

You're not going to jail. The worst that's going to happen is a small slap on the wrist, a fine, paying the lousy 4 bucks to the owner, and a stern warning. The best that will happen is that the judge will look at the complaint, and say to the complainant: "What are we doing here, and why are you wasting my time over a bag of jelly beans?"

Go forth and don't do this again.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">