• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retaliation In the Workplace

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PennyLane26

I work in Colorado.

Long story short:

2 weeks ago I came to my bosses telling them I had a job offer. They scheduled a meeting to discuss why I was leaving. I brought up some retaliatory behavior I had experienced in the past that was concerning. The meeting ended with both managers apologizing and telling me they hope I stay with the company. I put in my 2 week notice. Three days later I called one of the managers and told her I appreciated the apologies and would welcome the opportunity to cancel my notice and work on my relationship with them. She said "absolutely" and told me she would cancel my notice and we would pretend it never happened. A week later I was placed on a Final Write Up for alleged "disrespectful" behavior in my meeting with them. This behavior was never mentioned prior to this (because it didn't happen) and I have no previous counseling or write ups for this type of issue. This is a clear relation for putting in my notice. My question: Do I have any rights in this situation and if I am terminated is this grounds to sue?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I work in Colorado.

Long story short:

2 weeks ago I came to my bosses telling them I had a job offer. They scheduled a meeting to discuss why I was leaving. I brought up some retaliatory behavior I had experienced in the past that was concerning. The meeting ended with both managers apologizing and telling me they hope I stay with the company. I put in my 2 week notice. Three days later I called one of the managers and told her I appreciated the apologies and would welcome the opportunity to cancel my notice and work on my relationship with them. She said "absolutely" and told me she would cancel my notice and we would pretend it never happened. A week later I was placed on a Final Write Up for alleged "disrespectful" behavior in my meeting with them. This behavior was never mentioned prior to this (because it didn't happen) and I have no previous counseling or write ups for this type of issue. This is a clear relation for putting in my notice. My question: Do I have any rights in this situation and if I am terminated is this grounds to sue?
Yes, you would have the right to apply for unemployment. No, you wouldn't have grounds to sue.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Wrongful termination. Isn't retaliation in the workplace illegal?
Wrongful termination doesn't mean you were fired for something you deem to be "unfair." That term applies to being fired because of your race, ethnicity, gender, etc. And retaliation isn't illegal, except for "whistleblower" type of actions.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Most of what the average Joe or Josie considers "retaliation" is 100% legal. Nothing you have described constitutes the illegal kind. Nothing you have described meets the legal definition of a wrongful term.

It is ABSOLUTELY legal to "retaliate" against you for giving your notice.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I work in Colorado.

Long story short:

How have you been damaged by this?

You allegedly were leaving for another job.

xylene

In the future if you have decided on moving to another job and give notice be prepared to be immediately discharged. Do not accept any counter offers.

If any employer asks why you are leaving, tell them that you have decided to pursue an new opportunity. Don't air any grievances.

westside

To tell you it was OK to stay, then get rid of you was scumbag behavior, but legal as everyone has stated. I agree with xylene, if the situation is bad enough to leave, do exactly that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">