• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

retiree health insurance coverage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MarkLB

pennsylvania:

shortly after taking an early retirement from their job in 1996, my parents discovered that their health insurance was dropped w/o notice despite premium payments being made!

neither their former employer or the health insurance carrier would give any answer as to why.

end result, my dad suffers from multiple ailments due to him being unable to afford medical care!

what action can my parents take as a result of the other parties' action?

ALawyer

Given the complexity, and varying terms of continuation of coverage, he'd be best off saving time and getting a lawyer to look at his retirement package and plan and see why the coverage was not continued.

He can possibly get the coverage restored and reimbursed for the cost of care, BUT I do NOT think the ailments he suffered from not paying for health care on his own would be covered. Also, if too much time has elapsed, he could be totally out of luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">