• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retirement Age Change Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Applez

IL

If my father is 65 1/2 and decides that he wants to work another two months, but within those two months they change the retirement age to 68, can they enforce the new law on him considering he's past the current retirement age? I know it's "the man" we're talking about here, but my question is whether or not there's a law that would allow anyone of age or beyond to, I don't know, choose when they would want to retire between the age of 65 and 68?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That would depend on the exact wording of the as yet not passed law.

Applez

I see. Thanks!

I've learned from this site that something that one feels is unfair/wrong, is very many times not synonymous with illegal. But again, to say to an American citizen that's worked in this country for 30+ years (of which 30 of those years were worked with a set retirement age) that they -now- would have to follow a different plan (or, probably retire to take advantage of said age plan), doesn't sound very fair, IMO. I don't think they'd enforce such a rule (and at this point it's obviously nothing more than an assumption), but my post was simply an inquiry into finding out whether or not there was a preceding law of some sort that would protect workers in such a position. If not...oh well, I guess. :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">