• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retirement Beneficiary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MelindaS

I'm located in Kansas. My brother passed away in November. My mother was listed as his beneficiary on his retirement. She is on Social Security and lives in an apartment for retired people on low incomes. If she accepts this money, it will interfer with her benefits. I've asked her if she could give the money to her grandchildren, to set up funds for their college education. She won't even think about that, because she will be penalized for giving it away. My brother had never been married and had no children. My mother and I are his only family. Legally, is there any way I could accept this money, being the only other heir?

H

hmmbrdzz

Hi MelindaS: I'm not an attorney, but since no one has responded to your question, I thought I might advise you that you may be able to get some answers to your questions from the Council on Aging (or they may tell you who you need to speak with). I've put a web site here for you. They've got some links and some phone numbers that might help you. Toll free number if this isn't your area in Kansas. Good luck.

http://sckaaa.org/counties.htm

hmmbrdzz

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">