• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

retirement monies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I was injured at work and recieved my salary for over a year. Right after my injury a new agreement, which I voted for, was passed by my union. It gave all employees or union members monies from several different areas of the agreement. The final payment would come at resignation or retirement. Due to my injury I can't return to work. Now the union says I'm not entitled to anything because I wasn't an active employee. I disagree because I was still on payroll and I paid union dues also. I was really counting on this money for my retirement. What can I do?



i am a recent law school graduate awaiting Bar results. so i am only offering general guidance, and not forming an atty-client relationship.

It seems to me that if you were receiving your original salary (not disability or workers compenstion) then you should still be considered an employee.

If that is the case, then perhaps you want to read up on such issues at freeadvice.com, under employment law. if that doesn't give you the answers you seek, contact an employment law atty at attorneypages.com. some of them give free consultations.

Make sure you get all union agreements, both old and new together, compile old checks you received, etc.

hope this helps. good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential