• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

retirement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

goodteacher

What is the name of your state? florida

I just received a letter from our school board that said:

According to the audit section of the Dept. of Management Services, Office of Inspector General; ****** School District has been out of compliance with the Florida Statutes and associated rules pertaining to retirement coverage on Temporary Employees. For ***** to be in compliance your withholding records have been adjusted from National Government, which is a replacement for FICA to Florida Retirement and FICA. ****** pays into the Florida Retirement System on your behalf. Attached is Distribution Request Form for the National Govt./ FICA replacement plan. If you wish to request your monies you have paid into this plan fill out the attached Distribution Request Form and return it to personnel.
What does this mean? I've worked at this school for 5 years. This is the first year I have ever heard anyone use the term temporary. We have had many problems this year. In fact, the same day I received this letter, I received another saying I wouldn't have a position next year.
Shouldn't I be compensated for the money they were supposed to be putting into retirement for me? What about FICA? I haven't paid into SS since I started. Even if I wanted to take my money back, wouldn't I have to give the govt. 20%? Should they reimburse that money? It would be about $1000.

Beth3

I have no idea what that means and I suggest you ask your employer. Presumably a considerable number of teachers/employees received that letter and I expect they're fielding tons of questions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">